post-glandular 4 months (but who's counting :P)

Posted , 2 users are following.

This post is going to sound like a broken record :P In Jan, I got struck down- I had chills, high temperatures, brain fog, couldn't move- I never felt that sick before. A week later, the temperature finally broke and feeling elated I went to the kitchen... and collapsed (cue ambos). Later that day, the doctor told me he suspected that I had glandular fever (was confirmed two weeks later). I didn't 100% know what that was, but I knew it wasn't great news. Unfortunately, I treated it like the flu and after 2 weeks of feeling like death, I went back to work. I've had a lot of illnesses in the past and recovered pretty quickly after each one, so I thought this would be no different (a mistake!). It was such a push to go to work, even putting shoes on in the morning was a struggle. Then, I collapsed again at work (in the CBD) and it really scared me. I thought how can I run this store solo, if I coudn't even control myself? By the end of Feb, I quit work and ended up moving back home as I was getting worse and didn't have the energy to shop, cook or do anything.

I thought the worst was over as I could now rest. I tried to go to the library to borrow some books, and I started going through that same "dizzy/collapsing" feeling (ringing in the ears, not able to focus, blurred vision and the-feeling-of-wanting-to-collapse-on-the-floor). It took three individual attempts spanning a week, before I borrowed book. I thought I was going crazy as I'd never been sensitive to crowds, music, media before. I found that listening to songs from my childhood (cue HSM playlists, hey whatever works!) helped build myself to doing the above things again (e.g. watching the news).

Slowly, I eased myself back to gym group fitness classes (which I did daily before glandular). If I went too hard, I would pay for it- my body would start shaking afterwards and I would need a whole hour to regroup. It's April now, and I'm still working out the balance of going too far/not pushing enough (and still have the shakes, but to a lesser extent). I have also included more yoga/meditation/pilates into my sessions, rather than cardio/strength classes.

Sleep quality has been affected since glandular. If I exercised too much (particularly cardio/strength classes), I found that it significantly reduced sleep quality. Most days, I can barely make it to 8pm without falling asleep.

I went on a gluten-free, sugar-free (basically the anti-candida, limited vegetables and no fruit) diet in March as I read some posts saying that has helped some people with their recovery. I haven't been drinking alcohol since glandular, and coffee was eliminated at the same time as the diet. Towards the end of March, I was getting really depressed- whether it was the diet, glandular or the frustration of "not being yourself"- that I went to seek GP advice again. His motto was "to eat what makes you happy", which I used as permission to start eating fruit again. Looking back maybe the diet wasn't a good idea, but when you're desperate to stop feeling terrible, you'll give anything a go!

My blood tests came back and my iron levels were really low, so I have started to take Ferrograd. I was also vegetarian but I have started to include meat in a desperate attempt to get better. I have found that my mood swings have been reduced, crying episodes are less frequent, and I have better control mentally since these changes. Glandular is apparenty notorious for depression, but an iron deficiency can also produce similar symptoms to depression- something to note!

Even though it sucks at times and you feel like a shadow of your former self, I am glad I got glandular fever. It has made me re-evaluate a lot of my decisions, what I want out of life, and the relationships I have with my friends and family. It has been a wake-up call to take better care of myself and I have learnt to listen to my body; things I never did in the past. It will test your patience, your determination and your capacity to change. Sometimes it is hard to stay sane when you get random pains, swollen glands (again) or try to do something you used to and just can't. Take up another hobby if you can (mine has been cooking), eat well, rest up, exercise when you can, and just ride it out, because really that's all you can do.

You have to get through the rain if you're ever going to see a rainbow.

-Karen White

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Good to read that there light in the tunnel somewhere...

I have been down with some mono type thing for last 5 weeks... after a period of very severe stress and trauma (had to have a surgery under GA after losing pregnancy) I developed tonsillitis mid March. I got antibiotics and thought that I would just ride it out as always when had problems with tonsills. How wrong was I. Fatigue was unbelievable, practically chained me to bed, had no fever as such but my glands and spleen ached to the point they made me feel sick when I tried walking.Dizziness, brain fog, headaches, joint aches and being unable to move my limbs as they felt like weighing 100 kg each.

GP took bkood tests and all looks normal, monospot was negative. White blood count OK but I do have reverse ratio of limphocytes and granulocytes indicating mono. I did also test negative before for gluten intolerance which was confirmed by gastroscopy so not all that convinced to the blood tests. Left me wondering however if it is mono... anyway GP thinks that it is mono as I tick all the boxes, including rash after Amoxycilin.

My throat is still not great, spleen aches but got better in comparison to what it was, glands are so so so sore, earache and throat ache comes and goes-throat is still inflammed. Fatigue is a touch better, I can sit without feeling like I am gonna drop. Nowhere close normal functioning though. And it seems that if push myself I end up floored next day.

it feels like one step forward and two backsad it made me so depressed too. I have a daughter who I cannot look after now because I am so weak and have this anxiety and dark low mood.

In general terms it sucks...

• Posted

Hi Natalie,

I'm sorry to hear how mono has treated you and how tough it must be for you right now. 5 weeks in is still early days, but you will find that the fatigue does get better. The first month is the hardest; I felt very weak, hardly left the house, and suffered panic attacks. Do seek assistance from friends and family in that first month if you can, it will make a great difference and reduce some of the anxiety.

I only started noticing an improvement with the fatigue 2 months in, but that's when the anxiety and depression really kicked in. I'm not a medical professional but I think it occurs then as you start becoming frustrated that you aren't recovering as fast as you would like. Or you get hopeful as you are improving one week, then you're back at square one the next. When the moods are bad, try to see your GP as they will get you the right help. This made a huge difference to me.

Stay strong Natalie. Take each day as it comes and treat yourself kindly. Focus on you for now, as you can't be there for your daughter if you are feeling so ill. Rest when you get tired and avoid pushing yourself too early as it will only delay your recovery. It's a frustrating and depressing illness but it will get better smile

Best of luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.