Post Haemorrhoidectomy question

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am one week after surgery and in extreme pain. My doctor had to prescribe stronger painkillers that are not helping. My concern is that I am not eating much but moving my bowels 2 to 3 times a day which ends up with me crying. I know the recovery is long but I need reassurance that it will get better.

1 like, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I really feel for you - the pain was 10 out of 10 for me. But I also had Fissure surgery that went wrong and I ended up having 3 blood transfusions BUT it has got better. took me longer than most. I was in agonizing pain for weeks - for 5 I couldn't even walk but Sitz's baths will help, warm baths will help. Can you get Lidocaine Ointment? - that takes a bit of pain away. Remember to breath when you have a BM - look at things around the bathroom and cocncentrate on them instead of the BM. I kept YouTube on all the time I was in bed with comedians on so whenever I woke up in pain Ilistened to them to take my mind off the pain. 

I took Psyllium (and still do 6 months on) to increase my fiber instake and make BM easier.

AND I spent a lot of time on here - lots of people who can really 'share' your pain so you know you're not alone. If it got better for me it will get better for you (I was in hospital for 10 days) Just think of how many days you already managed to put behind you - you are already closer to the end.

• Posted

Thank you for sharing your experience. You have had an awful time of it and you still remain positive! Yes the pain is 10 out of 10. I have been uncharacteristly swearing and crying! I had hems banded in June and 2 days later I had a thrombois. This is why I had the op. I dont know what Psyllium is but I will look in to it. I take ground flaxseed every day and it is a great stool softener. I will take it the rest of my life now. This forum is more help to us than the advice from the medics. I hope to be able to contribute more when I am not a raging bull.
    • Posted

Psyllium is what is in stuff like Metamucil (easy to find if you are in the USA - CVS/Walgreens) Get the one made by Konsyl - no fake sweetners added. Easiest way to mix - cold water in a water bottle. Add a teaspoon. Shake it and drink it quickly - it gets thick with warm water and very quickly if it's left sitting. wash down with more water. I take about 2 teaspoons every day now - but takes a while to get used to - you must drink lots of water with it and cold water stops it getting thick so easily. It really does help. it's extra fiber - like a natural laxative.

You are already another day forward!

• Posted

Thank you. I am in the UK but should be able to locate it.
    • Posted

Hi Joola if you never ever want to get constipated in all your life do what I do every morning. First go to Holland and Barrett and buy a packet of linseeds / flaxseeds they are the same thing. Best to grind some first and place the unused ones in the fridge, and put them in a container to keep fresh, think you can also buy them ready ground there too. Why grind them ? Because they can get stuck in the colon of people over 50 like me. Mix any fruit you fancy with them ( use a desert spoon full first to see how you get on. The omega 3 oil in flaxseeds are extremely good for you. I also add 2 tablespoons natural Greek yoghurt, water to cover or coconut milk then whisk it all up and drink it..yum yum this lasts me until lunch time if one of the fruits I use is a banana. Keeps the weight off too and the banana ups your potassium.. very healthy try it xxxx never use a laxative for the rest of your life doing this every morning. I usually use 3/4 different fruits per day. The best healing fruits are strawberries even if they are frozen varieties, will help you to heal quicker. Ps sorry but I am a health freak !!!!June
    • Posted

I got my haemorrhoids by being 15 hours in labour with my daughter... not through constipation. Xx 😘 cheers June

• Posted

Hi June ,

I first had Hems when I was pregnant with my first 13 years ago then it just got worse over the years then last year that's when prolapse happened and omg it's agonising ! When did you have your op ?

Xx

• Posted

Hi had it done 24 Nov 2016. Surgeon told me that it only last 10 years max but after that they can be controlled by out patient an easy way . I said to him "OMG " not going through that ever again.... He assured me I never would have to but he repeated that they will return in 10 years ????? !!!!! Not going to think about that right now because I feel wonderful xx

• Posted

Omg are you serious ? I never want that op ever again !

My dad had the op 30 years ago and he had never had another op !

I had a problem 10 days after I had op ! They all re appeared and had another op ! And the second Surgeon reassured me that there is no way I can have them again ! But who knows !

Xxx

• Posted

I had 4 grade 4 haemorrhoids removed. 3 by haemorrhoidectomy and one by HALO method. Suffered for years and my last banding was August 2016 but this did not work, it was the 3rd banding that I had. No trouble with this.. Piece of cake, just that the more you have them banded, the less they work. But gosh am I happy now yipppppeeeee June X
    • Posted

My son had the op 4 years ago, and our choir master at church had it done 3 years ago, both went to different surgeons and add mine this makes 3 surgeons and all said they return in 10 years ...they said the same to all 3 of us, but mine was emphatic that I would NEVER need another haemorrhoidectomy, any future trouble can be dealt with very easily he said, so I am not going to give it another thought. Anyway, I do not believe that every single person who goes through an haemorrhoidectomy will meet this problem in 10 years after the op. I have never been constipated in my life, it was the birth of my daughter that started it all and my son has never been pregnant.... My surgeon says it is absolutely hereditary... My Mother suffered from them. Cheers ... Do not think about it. 
    • Posted

Oh no , mi will just enjoy the next ten years and worry about it then lol !

Aw no my poor children I hate the thought of them going through that !

My great grandad had them my grandad my dad and me ! I have brother and sister and they didn't get them ! I was the unlucky one 🙈

Xxx

• Posted

June I have been having ground flax seed for years, it is great stuff. I am going to look more at making smoothies with it instead of taking it in juice. I have never had coconut milk, I am going to try that too.
    • Posted

Try it with coconut milk or almond milk, also ad a handful of mixed nuts 🥜 and other seeds as well and if you are planning on a late lunch throw in a handful of jumbo oats that will fill u up but not fatten u up . Also I grind a load of seeds altogether and keep them in a glass jar in the fridge. I also add goji berries to my morning smoothie. Ever tried cacao chocolate nibs? I get mine off the Internet from Pink Sun organics cheaper than Holland Barrett. Add these to my morning smoothie as well, dark organic choc with no added sugar... google it and read all about it,great antioxidant. Let me know how you get on. June

• Posted

Do not worry at all. 3 surgeons have said that if they return in 10 years as they are most likely to then they will be easy to deal with. Also my daughter has had 2,children and she has never suffered from haemorrhoids. Be 😊 june

• Posted

Thanks for all the advice. I am now 18 days post op and can feel a great improvement.
    • Posted

18 days post op and much better. What seeds do you grind June and how do you take them? Got the almond milk and will now get the Cacao nibs online. Thanks for all your advice.
    • Posted

Hi

It's good that you feel better , it will keep getting better now each week !

Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.