Post heller myotomy question

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey guys, i recently underwent the heller myotomy this week, however have some questions regarding post op. Firstly surgery went well, everything went as planned and I was released after just 1 day however I did not receive a lot of info from the doctors. 

My first question is, how long should I wait until I ate regular diet. After surgery I was only allowed water, then the day after I was allowed liquids, then leaving I was advised to eat a soft diet for a couple of days and then move onto anything I wish, however from reading these forums, I've seen people on a liquid diet for 2 weeks to a month, I've already eaten foods such as chicken, chocolate etc, is it too soon to eat these types of food? 

Secondly, I haven't experienced a significant improvement post surgery regarding eating. Liquids  now pass with easier than before, however I'm finding I still need a lot of water to get food down and no food seems to pass by itself. I read online that I could expect this for the first two weeks after surgery due to swelling etc but I'm curious if anyone else has faced this issue as I'm getting increasingly concerned. 

So to recap, what foods should I eat ? And also does eating get better the weeks after surgery? 

Many thanks 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Peter.  I had the HM surgery last November.  Take it very easy with your eating...eat soft foods, liquids, etc. for awhile.  I am one of those who wasn't able to venture into solids for about 4 weeks after surgery.  Remember you are healing from the inside out and there will be swelling in the esophageal muscle area.  Puddings, soups, etc., are good. So is bitter dark chocolate, plain, as it helps that muscle to relax somewhat.  Most of us with Achalasia have dark chocolate handy.  Meats are very difficult for the system to handle, at your stage.  Maybe scrambled eggs or fish.  I have type 1 Achalasia, which  means my esophagus is paralyzed.  Anything, and I mean anything, that goes into my mouth  has to be 'washed down' with water.  Even post-surgery I have 'poor clearance,' from the esophagus into the stomach.  But we are all different, and you may be one of the lucky ones who can go back to almost normal eating.  I 'graze' throughout the day.  My meal portions are very small, and the texture of the food is important.  The food has to be able to pretty much dissolve in my mouth, with water, before going down into the esophagus.  Alan, from OPA, can give you a link to a patient's handbook, which you can print out.  I found/find this handbook to be very helpful.  On this journey with Achalasia, it is pretty much 'trial and error.'  Don't get overly concerned at this point.  Take it easy, eat small portions, many times a day. 

• Posted

Donna is right . You are still way swollen to be eating a full KO fa diet. Look up Post Nissen Diet. Thats the diet o had to go through . I have heals up great beside I still spaz in esphogus I got type 3 . I can't have chocolate its to thick and makes me spaz out trying to swallow it down.

Be sure to research the eating full diet so your not seeing your surgeon again !

• Posted

I don't want to alarm you but I was told the only reason for the liquid for a week or two then soft foods for a week or two then move on to  soft solids.  This is done so that the esophagus has time to heal  and solid food can tear  where was cut  and unfortunately you wouldn't even feel any pain and could bleed within.  Shame on your doctors and or nurses on not giving you instructions.  I hope this helps and congrats on the surgery,  I am praying and counting that I too will have my surgery soon.  Please feel free to private message me just to give me an updated on you recovery process.  to help me prepare for my surgery.

Beth

• Posted

Hi beth,,, could I just ask you what happens when  you have a spasm, it's just my son has special needs and he can't explain properly,  it's like when it happens, it's like a need to burp but can't always and he's swigging water to help, he literally won't go anywhere without water and when it happens he tries to take a breath  and it kind of gargle and need to bring the wind up, yesterday it seemed all day long  and very exhausting for him, it can happen when he wakes up with out eating and I think moving around doesn't help it??? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.