Post Heller-Myotomy Surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone.  I am now 6 months post-Heller Myotomy & Fundoplication surgery.  I would like to hear from others, post-surgery: how are you doing, what are you experiencing; what new foods [ie solids] have you tried; what foods seem to work and what don't?  I am type 1 Achalasia [paralyzed esophagus].  If you now have 'acid reflux,' what are you doing to reduce this?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi Donna

I had my surgery 5 years ago this August and things are still ok.

There still lots of foods I have avoid like certain meats and bread

and although I find coping with it difficult I am just glad things are

so much better than they were before surgery.

Sadly despite being on esomeprazol I have now developed grade B

osophagitis ( excuse spelling ) I have a appointment to see a consultant

Next week to discuss what is going to happen.

I would urge anyone who has problems with acid reflux to try and control

it properly and not rely totally on pills to stop it.

So please if you know something causes you acid then don't have it,

it is just not worth it in the end.

I have been warned that I might need part of oesophagus removed in the near future and now wish I had tried to control it better.

• Posted

Thank you for sharing; you are a breath of fresh air!  Can you tell me what osophagitis is?  I've found that bread does not work for me, and I really miss having a piece of toast or a cinnamon bun.  When you refer to 'pills' to control, are you talking about a prescription drug like Rabeprazole, etc?    The 'improvement' for me post-surgery, has been being able to eat some solid food again, although washed down with copious amounts of water [which of course fills the stomach].  Pre-surgery it was pureed food for 2 months, and then the last 2 weeks before surgery, the only thing that worked was liquids.  Thank you for sharing.

• Posted

Just curious, do you think the surgery was worth it?  Was it vast improvement or medium or mild.  I know everyone responds to treatment differently. Just no into evasive surgery if I can avoid it. 
  • Posted

Thanks for starting this thred! 

Husband was diagnosed with Achalasia around four years ago. He had been experiencing symptoms for almost two years of severe cardio spasms, inability to swallow, food becoming lodged in the throat and night time aspirations. His weight had plummeted and he was in a very poor state. Manometry testing proved his oesophagus was hugely dilated and effectively paralysed; the cardio sphincter was overgrown and slammed shut and food was hanging around undigested. Surgery was identified as the only hope following numerous medicinal interventions and Botox. Dilation was with-held as an option as the surgeon advised scarring may hinder any necessary future surgical intervention.

He underwent a Heller’s Myotomy with a partial fundoplication three years ago via keyhole surgery.  Initially he struggled with pre surgical symptoms still and Botox was performed again to loosen the newly made fundoplication.  Since then he had been left to manage his symptoms.

He did initially experience GERD but is now on Omeprazole daily, Ranitidine at night and Gaviscon prior to bed. He has Metoclopramide to settle spasms and nausea. He has to be careful regarding the foods he eats as certain foods can also cause acid reflux. He avoids fatty, oily foods. Spicy foods are an issue and so he avoids these. Course heavy meat which is going to take some swallowing and digesting is also an issue and he tends to opt for meats that are already ground, or soft, like chicken and minced beef etc. White bread is a no no as it clumps and blocks the sphincter. He opts for brown wholemeal bread which breaks apart rather than clog. Chips tend to cause issue, unless they are chunky oven baked and very soft.  Sliced mushrooms seem to stick in the oesophagus and every meal is taken with copious amounts of fluid. Anything that leaches moisture from the mouth as you chew is pretty much out such as course crackers, white bread, certain cake and certain biscuits (unless dunked).  Whole Seeds, cereals, whole nuts and fruits are also pretty out. But ground nuts, seeds, soft milky cereals and cooked fruit will work. He adores pasta with plenty of sauce and this generally works very well.

It is all about textures and managing them for him, usually with plenty of fluid! He has developed strategies to cope and a knowledge base that enables him to eat around what he knows will work with his ‘new’ eating mechanism. He has even learned to identify when food is going to block or when he is ‘full’ as even this changes post-surgery.  

• Posted

Thank you Ducky and Carol, you have shared really good information.  Should Gaviscon be taken after every meal, or only at bedtime?  I get acid after 'everything' I eat.  Its not that bad, just usually in one spot [nearest the sphincter muscle].  What is metocloprimide? 

• Posted

Carol what you have described about the foods your husband has to avoid is exactly the same for me.

I now make my own wholemeal bread as it is less doughy

than shop bought bread.

I have read in the last couple of days that onion and garlic and

also any tomato based food is bad for acid reflux sufferers.

I have had to cut out anything with vinegar in it, mustard and

so many other things like that.

Annoying though i really don't eat a lot but have found that

what I do eat has to have loads of sauce or gravy with it and

if I want crackers they have to have mayo on them.

I have put on to much weight because of this and all the

doctor keeps saying is eat less which is fine but he refuses

to send me to a nutritionalist to help me find a solution.

What really upsets me is that I feel like I have been left to

just get on with it and this might sound stupid but it has ruined my life to a certain extent.

This all started when I was 22 and I stopped going out with

friends because it was too embarrasing running to the toilet

every time I tried to eat a mouthful of food and then I had stop

drinking any alchohol, soft drinks and squash and

can only drink tea or water.

Now I have been told to give up the tea so a night out with

Means me spending the night on water and I hate eating out

with anyone because I have to eat what I can swallow and

not things I would like to eat and means me spending ages

analysing the menu.

Not just for things I can swallow but all the ingredients that

may be in it.

• Posted

Just curious, does your husband think the surgery was worth it?  Was it vast improvement or medium or mild.  I know everyone responds to treatment differently. Just not into evasive surgery if I can avoid it. 

(yes asking everyone)

• Posted

1blindmice - he was only 52 at the time of the surgery and things were so bad that he was diagnosed as malnourished, protein deficient and his liver was starting to struggle.  He kept collapsing and passing out. He was skeletal to be honest. He was surviving on protein shakes (when he was able to swallow them, which wasn’t often) and all other pre surgical intervention had failed. In short, he was very, very ill. For him surgery was the ONLY option left.

So does he think it was worthwhile? A resounding YES! It isn’t easy and you should always pursue all other options, but when it is the only option left, then it is the one to take. It isn’t perfect, but it gave him hope… a life. Today he eats out and has learned to manage his new way of eating. He still sticks with soften, saucy foods and avoids certain foods altogether. But, he no longer aspirates and whilst he initially had GERD, medication has dealt with that.

Hope that helps   

• Posted

Metoclopramide is a medication that treats stomach conditions and soothes spasms as well as treating nausea. Here in the UK, it is prescribed.

Gaviscon can be taken up to four hourly and ideally after every meal if it helps. It is oil based and will sit on top of the food, in theory keeping it down. Taken at bedtime, it should aid to reduce GERD. If you are still struggling with acid, please go and see your GP. You may need a Proton Pump Inhibitor (PPI) which acts by reducing acid production and release in the first instant.   

• Posted

Ducky1 - don't allow yourself to be left to cope. If you feel you need additional help or support ask.... You may need additional intervention after five years. Ask to be referred again. 

I am especially curious now. You mention that 'all the ingredients that are in it....' Do you suffer intolerances too? I have a personal theory here! Never been proven, and I may be talking rubbish, but my husband’s symptoms began around the time he was diagnosed as milk intolerant! I have heard of one other person having this too! I wonder if there isn't some link with enzyme production and this condition! Wouldn't surprise me as enzymes are vital for food digestion!    

• Posted

Thank you to all of you!!!  You don't know how 'helpful' it is to read what you can or cannot eat.  I too, am no longer able to have alcohol, or even tea.  And because my esophagus is paralyzed, everthing that goes in my mouth is washed down with copious amounts of water,  For eg., at a women's meeting last week, I had a small dish of apple crisp..  This was washed down with at least a litre of water.  And yes, Ducky, it is very uncomfortable going out for a meal, and watching people eat normally, and what they want, while we judge what we can actually put our mouth, that won't block or stick or cause a spasm.  Someone once said, on the Forum, that Achalasia 'robs' us of so much life.  But we have to adjust our life in terms of eating, etc., or we will cease 'to' live.  I'm also garlic, onion intolerant, and have lactose intolerance as well.  This is not fun at all....but I do not regret the surgery, nor the balloon dilation...I don't think I would be alive today, if those surgeries had not been done....at least I can get some solids down...along with water.  I also drink at least one liquid supplement shake, and make a protein shake in the afternoon.  Everyone, please keep on sharing!!!!

• Posted

Thanks Carol for your post. Could you please elaborate a bit on the cooked fruıts? And just wondering if he had problem with apple souce, pre-op, and what fruits might have worked for him.
    • Posted

He could not eat any vegetables or fruit pre surgery unless it was pureed and cooked to oblivion. These days he can manage whole cooked fruits as they are softer (usually in a crumble!), but whole raw fruits still cause a problem as they are difficult to swallow. The reality is that you continue to be gravity fed post-surgery as the oesophagus remains paralysed. So hard foods are still an issue to swallow. x 
  • Posted

Just curious, do you think the surgery was worth it?  Was it vast improvement or medium or mild.  I know everyone responds to treatment differently. Just not into evasive surgery if I can avoid it. 
    • Posted

Yes surgery was definately worth it, i only wish i could have had it done when i was first diagnosed because i truly believe that had

i had it done then i would be even  better now.

I was diagnosed when i was 22 and had 2 dilations done but surgery wasn't offered until i was 43.

I have been on proton pump inhibitors from the start but still suffer

from acid. My GP has tried me on so many and nexium seems

to be the best for me but even that doesn't always stop it.

I had another endoscopy two weeks ago and now have grade b

osophagitis ( inflamation). Also now have been diagnosed with

a baggy osophagus, i go back on tuesday to find out if i need any

more treatment and for biopsy results.

I have to be careful with dairy products since having my gall bladder

removed and with regards to what ingredients to avoid i have found that these things cause my acid to be worse.

Worcestershire sauce, balsamic vinegar and any other vinegar based

things like mint sauce.

The obvious which is chilli, chilli powder any kind of lemon flavouring or orange. I can't tolerate any soft drinks other than water or tea/coffee.

• Posted

Thanks for the above information.  Isn't it curious, I too, can't tolerate soft-drinks and haven't had one in about a year.  My beverage right now is water with a bit of prune juice in it.  Prior to surgery, I couldn't tolerate our city water [they put bleach in it], and drank only bottled water.  Post-surgery, I can tolerate the city water. About 3 years pre-surgery, I was diagnosed with IBS, post-surgery, I haven't had an IBS issue since last Summer, around the time that I was on pureed food only...which eventually turned into liquids only.  Almost as if my gut hit the re-set button, OR, was the problem the Achalasia all along.  Apparently, I have had Achalasia for 'decades.'  It was diagnosed last June, at the end-stage.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.