Post Hernia Surgery Blockage

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm hoping that someone out there might be able to offer some advise. I had a umbilical hernia repair back in June 2015. I am told that no mesh was needed and everything was put back where it belongs. 3 weeks after surgery I started to experience abdominal pain followed by chronic diarrhoea. I also have been diagnosed with colitis / proctitis but did not ever experience any pain with it. However my doctor convinced me that the pain was down to the interference of the intestines which upset the colitis. After 6 months of waiting for a colonoscopy and a scan of my abdomon, my gastro consultant found that my colon was heavily compacted with fecal matter and put me on a course of movical which is for constipation. Could tge surgery have caused a blockage? I have been on an emotional and painful journey these past 2 years searching for answers as the pain still persists. I did manage to get the diarrhoeaand pain under control initially with a number of courses of prodisoline (steroids) along side asacol both orally twice a day and topically morning and night. However the most recent course of steroids didn't have any effect. An addition to my medication Azathioprine has been introduced however I still suffer from abdominal pain and although I'm emptying my bowls twice a day I can feel that I'm still full inside. It is important to mention also that I still experience pain in the area of the surgery which can be piercing at times. If anyone can offer any advise I would be grateful.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Abdominal surgery can trigger IBS because it can disturb the intestines.  Does your pain move about? It is also possible that you have neuropathic pain.  Sometimes nerves can be disturbed or cut during surgery.   I got neuropathic pain after having a blood done by someone who didn’t know what she was doing.
    • Posted

Hi pippa58442 thanks for reaching out. The cramping pain is located mainly in the right side of ab, although IBS discomfort from bloating does travel around.
    • Posted

No the cramping pain doesn't move, it's located on the right!

• Posted

Since the pain is located in one area, I would go back to your doctor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.