Post Herpetic Neuralgia from Shingles- On the Head and Eye

Posted , 3 users are following.

It's been over two years and there is little relief for the pain and itching on the right side of my head and my right eye.  I am on gabapentin and valtrex,  exercise regularly,  eat healthy and keep active with my daughter however the pain is still overwhelming.  Any suggestions for relief?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I would ask the dr for some strong pain killers, I did the same when I had shingles as the pain was excruciating. I now have mostly itching which gets very intense and makes my eye very sore , I was diagnosed in March 2016. I do hope you manage to get some good pain relief as it would really help.
    • Posted

thank you.  i just got lidocaine today...seems to help with my forehead but not the part under my hair...eye is killing me.  I'm on Medicaid so getting good help is impossible.  Thankful for you response.  Best to you

• Posted

I am almost a year past forehead and ocular shingles ang sm still on psin. Burning pain in the eye and bony brow area is the worst. Plus my vision was affected. My focus changes several times a day making it fifficilt to know what glasses to wear as they change constantly. Can not find an opthalmologist who seems to hsndle the vision problems and other focs only offer lyrics etc for psin and I dont see how this helps when so many on it are still suffering. Seems hopeless little and I worry I will have this pain forever. I am 70 now.a
    • Posted

Yes,  i believe only doctors who actually have been equally afflicted can understand our pain.  Check our Charlie 58834 on this site.  He is a retired doc who has been living with this exact thing for 20 + years.  Love and positive energy to you.
    • Posted

Thanks for your well wishes. Not sure how to find others comments. Apologies for all the typos in my last post. Can't type one these tablets and smartphones phones very well! The poor vision doesn't help either. I hope we both have some relief soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.