Post holiday update

Posted , 5 users are following.

About a month ago I said I’d give an update on how I am after my holiday to Thailand. After postponing it once I decided to bite the bullet and go.

The flight there ruined me and about a week in I think I might have got food poisoning because I relapsed hard and spent the next few days in bed. Couldn’t really do anything I wanted to on the entire holiday which was really frustrating and hugely disappointing as I spent a lot of money to get there. At least I got a good tan though! 

Been back just over a week now and had a couple of days where I felt perhaps 10-15% better but I subsequently did too much on one particular day and ive had a clanging headache ever since (a symptom I haven’t had at all since I got the virus in November).

Ive heard it itsnt uncommon to go up and down like this, zig zagging Craig called it. Perhaps I should continue to mope around the house doing nothing if I start to feel a little better.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi will,

im so sorry you felt so dreadful....I had to cancel my holiday twice last year to Disney....too much money to spend to not be able to do it properly! But it is rebooked for next year!!

yes, it is defiantly a zig zag recovery, I'm at nearly 18 months and I would say I'm 95% better.... I'm having a few low days recently but after a few rests in the day I can then carry on. The lows aren't as low now and the better days are longer. There is no rhyme or consistency either so it's hard to judge from day to day..... Just over time you sort of see how you're doing!!

Rest up and take it easy

caroline x

• Posted

Hi Will,

Really sorry to hear your holiday was ruined with this awful virus, it showed amazing courage and determination that you went despite this - I know for sure I could never have done anything so adventurous when going through the virus, just sorry that you weren't able to get enjoyment out of it and felt so bad. I hope it is a relief to be home and it can allow you more rest and recovery time.

Definitely the recovery can be zig-zag Will, it's so frustrating I know. Oh I suppose it's not just about moping about the house when feeling okay, just I guess being sensible and not overdoing it, so you might want to go for a walk on those days, or do something positive but that you feel is within yourself and are not stretching things too far. It's hard to find that balance I know, especially when feeling a bit better, it's just like waves ups and downs with this, but eventually the waters calm out and your body resilience returns so you can feel like you can do more strenuous things and not suffer afterwards for doing it - those days will come Will for you still fully believing in your recovery, hang in there and still thinking about you and believing God will bring healing in your life.

And you ARE going to get through this and get better Will - I truly truly believe that. And you will have a holiday in the future that will make up for it I do hope and believe!

Craig

• Posted

I love how  Craig is the celebrity here. You rock Craig, real support for many sufferers. 
    • Posted

Oh goodness Lob please don't say that it's not that at all! I just know how badly and horrible this virus affected me and I really don't want anyone else to feel how I did when I went through it, it is like therapy for me and my current problems too just to come on here and try to share words of hope and encouragement for people - there are so many scare stories on the internet and it's such a fragile and low time for people during mono, this is by far the best online place I've seen for this virus and there has been so much positively and genuine good will from the people on the site.

Really hope you are feeling much better soon Lob and so sorry you had such a bad experience on holiday, hang in there and remember you WILL get through this, trusting God with that!

Craig

• Posted

Craig you really are a hero in these parts, everyone is so greatful for your support and kind words! 
    • Posted

Oh not at all Will I just know how horrible this virus is and how badly it affected me and I really empathise with anyone going through it and wouldn't wish it on anyone - most importantly want to reassure you and everyone going through it that there IS and end to it and that things do get better, even if it takes a bit of time, that recovery happens Will and believing you will get there, trusting God with your recovery 100% I know He won't let you down!

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.