Post hydrocele surgery worries

Posted , 3 users are following.

Good morning.

I had hydrocele surgery little over a week ago now. there still is some pain and discomfort in the stitched area and also inside but im not particularly worried about that, as its subsided quite substantially over the past few days. however, what is started to worry me is the recent swelling which has occured over the last few days. it almost feels and looks as if the fluid has started to return... i have gone to the doctors about the matter and he did say he isnt worried as swelling starting 5 days after surgery is completely normal. I dont know whether im a hypochondriac or a pessimist or just a moron but I cant help but feel this highly trained and so much more educated man is wrong and the hydrocele has infact returned. has anyone experienced this? or can shed some more light on the matter.

cheers

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

I had Hydrocele surgery yesterday (Friday 3/10/23). This was the second time I had it done on the same side. The first time was in 1998. I too am having minor discomfort in the stitched area. I was told to take ibuprofen as needed. I also requested and was given a prescription for a 5 day supply of antibiotics. Was told to expect swelling for the first 2 weeks and that the swelling will most likely be bigger than the hydrocele. Swelling will diminish over the next few weeks and should return to normal size by week 6 - 8.

I'm not a doctor but the only advice I can give you to help with the swelling is to take ibuprofen (Advil) for the next 1 - 2 weeks following the instructions on the bottle. Also, wrap a bag of frozen peas in a towel and place over swollen area for 20 minutes at a time and do that throughout the day. I use a bag of frozen peas because you can easily shape/mold it around that area. Hope this helps you or anyone else reading this.

Michael

• Posted

hi hi michael,

this advice was really helpful thank you. my partner just had his second surgery two days ago and his scrotum is as swollen as before and he feels like it is fluid and is really worried its come back. how did you go with yours?

• Posted

Hi,

I'm doing well. It has been about 4 months since my hydrocelectomy on March 10th, 2023.

I did wear a jockstrap for a few weeks when I went back to work. Eventually, the swelling did go away and it returned to its normal size after 8 - 10 weeks.

I did get discouraged thinking the swelling would never go away but it did. I do still have some minor hardness/firmness at the surgical site but it does not bother me.

Best of luck to your partner on his recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.