Post hysterectomy

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi everyone. i had a hysterectomy in July last year. i have alot of loose skin on my belly that hasn't returned to how it was. it makes me really self conscious. also i put alot of weight on since the op and starting hrt. does this happen to everyone. i have no one to talk to and feel alone 😔. thanks for any advice .. x

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Edited

Hi

I think HRT can put weight on you depending on what type you have and if it suits you etc.

Maybe you need to talk to your doctor and get some advice.

I have put weight on after my op and have decided to go back to Slimming World.

Hope you can get some help to feel like you again @

• Posted

i lost 3 stone on slimming world a while back and kept it off. i eat really good and exercise but since the hysterectomy and hrt ive put weight on and it will not come off. its so depressing 😔

• Edited

Hi

I had a radical hysterectomy at the end of July last year too. I am exactly the same as you. My lower stomach is still swollen and protruding and still hurts some days. I swim and do clubbercise and theres no sign of it going down. I'm on Premarin HRT and Sertraline. I've also piled on weight and I'm constantly active. I feel like a kangeroo carrying a baby around and never wear anything that doesn't sit lower than my thighs. You're not alone and we should love ourselves as we are we've been through a massive operation and it can take a very long time for our bodies to adjust. You are beautiful as you are and you should not ever feel self conscious xx

• Posted

thank you so much, i think im just feeling down as my body is so different now. i assumed the swelly belly would have gone by now but no. im doing yoga but nothing is shifting it.

im on estraderm 50mg patches and sertraline 100mg aswell. i hate it i cant wear any of my old clothes, and thank you i jist dont feel beautiful at the moment x

• Edited

I'm sure you are beautiful don't be hard on yourself x you've been through a traumatic operation and although you look a bit different from the outside you're still a lovely person on the inside and thats all that matters x i thought mine would have gone by now too but it hasn't xx i made a concerted effort a couple of months ago and sorted out all my old clothes as i was clinging onto a younger me. It was nice to let go and there's some beautiful summer floral floaty dresses available that hides all the sticky out bits. I've bought a couple of smock dresses which you can wear with trainers, boots or sandals. This lockdown situation isn't helping either. You need to get yourself a little pamper kit and have a spa day at home.At some point in the next six months I'm sure our bodies will adjust and all that yoga will start to make a difference. Keep going you're doing amazingly well already xx

• Posted

thank you. its so nice to have someone to talk to. your comments made me cry 😭 . i know what your saying, im only 39 and i feel years older. i just cant get used to the new me. yes im going to stick to my yoga and im eat really well. just hard to love yourself when you dont like what you see, im trying though. yes this lockdown is terrible, ive been in for nearly 4 weeks now here x

• Posted

Hi Lovely how are you feeling today? Thought I would check to see if you were ok. Have you had that pamper yet x

• Posted

hi ive been ok, still feeling a little upset about the belly. im trying to sort out hrt, but im considering coming off it all together. ive talked to the doctor and he advised talking to the surgeons who did my operation. ive been unable to get hold of them yet though, so il wait and see. thank you for checking in. i didnt think i would feel like this about my body afterwards. x

• Posted

i hate mine too. ive gone from a size 8 to 10 to a size 16. I don't want anyone to look at me I feel repulsive but I'm trying my best to like myself although doing a bad job. keep trying to get hold of your consultant and let me know how you get on. I'm sure you'll start getting back to your old self but its going to take time.

• Posted

ah im the same, ive gone from a size 10 -12 to a size 16 too. i feel so embarrassed even infront of my husband. ive always had a good figure and now i feel like a flump 😞 i did not think it would be like this after, and i didnt realise about the belly. how are you coping with all the changes? x

• Posted

pretty much the same as you but doing my best to stay cheerful and accept i am what i am now. I won't allow my husband to look at me with clothes on though. I'm thinking about stopping the sertraline to see if that makes a difference. I do need to stay on the HRT to ensure I don't get brittle bones. I had everything removed including my cervix. I'm wearing lots of floaty dresses and tunics but I don't like going out so I'm happy on lockdown.I'm trying to embrace the enormous cleveage ive got possibly as a result of the hormones in a hope that it detracts from the rest of me... . This is the worse part of the year for me as you cannot cover up like you can in winter so floaty midi dresses are a must. I keep telling myself that its going to take a good 12 months to get back into shape we've had major surgery and they've cut through layers and layers which need time to heal. Keep at your yoga it will come. Its whats on the inside that counts and it seems to me that you are a lovely caring person and nobody can take that away from you. I bet your husband loves you just as much as he did.

• Posted

omg you sound so much like me. i have to stay on sertraline for another two months and then i can start weening off. im waiting to see if i can stop hrt. same here my boobs have gone massive at least an increase of a few cup sizes. i also had my cervix removed. i had alot going on in there so it was the best for me. im trying to cover up but i do feel awkward. yes this lockdown is ok for me as i dont have to hide it 😂 thank you so much for taking the time to speak to me. i feel like ive found someone i can relate to x

• Posted

Hi. I am 5 weeks post hysterectomy and also on sertraline. No HRT. My clothes are all to tight even baggy trousers are a no as the waist is tight on my abdomen. I can't bear anything tight and have to wear baggy dresses. My underwear is very low as well. I have started moving more but after a couple of hours, I am so uncomfortable. I can't even think about how to manage in work. How are you getting on?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.