Post hysterectomy numbness

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am now into my 5th week of recovery - and doing OK. I had a large abdominal cut (bikini line) - and I know they will have cut some nerve tissue when they opened me up - but I have no feeling from just below my belly button to where I was cut for the whole length of the inscision. Does this feeling come back? It just feels so weird - someone could cut me there and I wouldn't have a clue!

Thanks in advance!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Glennie,

Glad you're doing ok.

I wondered the same thing but it does come back😉 I had numbness and real tenderness too above my incision. It was numb for about 1-2inches above the incision and then really tender above that. I hated anything touching it so my clothes really irritated it particularly at the end of the day.

I think mine calmed down around week 6-8. That was a really turning point for me on everything. I still feel a bit tender a couple of inches above the incision some days, especially if I've been active!

Hang on in there and you will get back to normal 😉

X

• Posted

Thanks for that JVA!

Originally it was a larger area - so that's why I asked the question! Still trying to get the balance between doing enough - and not doing too much on this recovery journey. I'm sure I'll get there soon biggrin

• Posted

Oh I know... I was super paranoid about overdoing things in the early days as I didn't want to put myself back or do any internal damage. By week 6 I was feeling much better but it was week 8 that I really felt much more like myself with no swelly belly each night and no real tenderness.

You do need to remind yourself that you've had an op and need to recover though as I really overdid it week before last, rushing around here and there and did 2.5hrs digging and weeding in the garden. By Saturday I felt awful andhad to lie down!! I took it a bit easier last week 😂

I used to do 5/6 gym classes a week but I'm still not back at the gym yet, despite being signed off by the consultant who said it's fine if I take it easy. I'm in no rush and as my tummy has the odd day of tenderness I'm just going to wait a bit longer. I'm 12wks post op today!! Time has flown by....

Jess x

• Posted

I'll be back at work after week 8 - so I am getting as much rest as I can! I work in an office - so no heavy lifting - plenty of men work there that can do any lifting I need them to do. I am looking forward to getting back into the garden - although I did prune some small twigs that were at a height I didn't have to bend the other day while my other half did all the weeding and mowing! Hate having to go shopping with someone in tow though - costs me twice as much as man things seem to get shoved in the basket - although I have been doing most of the heavy stuff on line. 

Thanks for putting my mind at rest Jess!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.