Post-infectious IBS

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi guys. It’s been a while!

I was diagnosed with right sided diverticulitis by a CT scan in April. Took antibiotics for a month. Had a colonoscopy in June that showed a single diverticulum in my cecum (right colon) but no residual diverticulitis.

After all that, my pain and discomfort have never completely gone  away. Still feel occasional pinched and dull ache in my right lower abdomen, as well as burning sensations in my right groin and hip and aching in my back. A GI doc ordered a gallbladder ultrasound which was negative. He then diagnosed me with post-infectious IBS. Flares seem to have more to do with physical activity than with anything I eat. Dicyclomine and Tramadol help a little, but the pain never fully goes away. 

For the past 3 days the pain and discomfort have intensified, possibly triggered by a veggie burger I ate but I can’t be sure. It’s so upsetting and anxiety-inducing. Is this what it’s going to be like forever? I am 5 months out from my initial diagnosis and have only felt normal for a handful of days since then. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi hfkmd, I to have had Diverticulitis with abscess back in Feb. Developed bad anxiety and panic attacks with it. After many stool tests, blood tests, Cat Scans,Endoscopy, and colonoscopy final diagnosis Severe Diverticulosis, 3spots in sigmoid, SIBO/IBS D. Lost 50  lbs through this hell. I still hurt a lot with pain in left lower abdomen, hip, back and buttocks. Lost my muscle mass. My diet is very restricted, no dairy or eggs, no gassy veggies or red meat. I’m still working on the diet and triggers. I go between constapation and diarrhea, I take a good probiotics and digestive enzymes along with IBguard. Drink Heathers tummy teas to help with bloating , spasms, gas. Very depressed over whole thing. I take Xanax for my Anxiety. Funny how the whole mind/gut thing works. I do yoga and swimming and mindfulness meditation. I also go to physical therapy and do massage. Walk a lot helps. Seems like the DD thing effects the muscles, makes them weak and tense, so people hurt for a long time, I’m still struggling and hurting but trying hard not to let it rule my life. Day by day. 

🙏🌸🌺

• Posted

Hey Vickie. Thanks for sharing. I hate that this is shaping up to be a chronic thing for both of us. I went on a liquid diet today for the first time since June. Truly depressing...
  • Posted

I am so sorry to hear this but I do know what you are going through.  I have a similar diagnosis and was basically told that I am going to have to deal with this for the rest of my life and I will have my good days and my bad days. One thing that helps me relieve the pain is when I have complete bowel movements, for this I use Linzess and Lactulose, Both prescription laxatives. I had to play around with timing and dosage to get myself on schedule But it seems to alleviate the pain in conjunction with gas pills peppermint oil capsules and dicyclomine.  Hope this helps.
  • Posted

Hi, I have IBS and divaticular and always have pain, mainly dull aches but bad when infected, sounds like the burger kicked things off, you will get used to what you can eat and what to avoid, I found de caff tea an coffee help a great deal, i avoid high fatty foods gassy veg, fruit, brown bread, anything with pips, the skin of jacket potatoes, peas and beans...i eat plain foods, pasta no spicy foods, soups, crackers, white bread, plain biscuits.

Hope this helps

• Posted

hey @hfkmd - can I ask how you are doing now? hope you're ok?

• Posted

I'm doing okay now. It took months and months for things to get back to normal. I eventually got my anxiety under control with meditation, exercise, and medication. Once that evened out, my GI issues gradually diminished, and now I only feel an occasional pinch or ache, but it doesn't freak me out anymore.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.