Post infectious IBS

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi, im a 25 year old male in good health. so for the past 14 weeks or so, ive been suffering with some very odd stomach complaints. completely new to me i must add. it all started with me having what i think was food poisoning. i had the shivers, diarrhea and i was sick a few times. after a day resting i went back to normal and felt fine. 2 weeks later i had painful trapped gas for the first time in my life. after this my lower stomach spasm'd for 2 days straight, this was painless may i add. so after the spasming subsided, i had virtually no symptoms other than a subtle ache where my lower abdomen had been spasming. then out of the blue 3 weeks later i had the trapped wind feeling again followed by VERY PAINFUL lower stomach cramps, almost like a pulling that took my breath away. again, it subsided and started again a week later. since this episode, i have been continuously getting sharp pains under my ribs both left and right and also in my lower abdomen, both left and right sided. the painful cramps have now returned after 9 weeks without them. my doc has diagnosed me with post infectious IBS after a visit and some blood tests. my bowel movement are relatively normal, probably a little looser than normal, i also have an acidic taste in mt mouth when my symptoms are at their worst. doctor said theyre all connected. anybody else on here suffer wit P-I IBS? doc said it will probably eventually subside but it could take months/years. the pain is very difficult to deal with on day to day basis. any guidance would be much appreciated.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

IBS never really goes away. It can stay dormant for a while and then come back in times of stress or food intolerance. I am surprised you were told it would probably subside and it could take months or years. There is no cure for any form of IBS. Once you have it, it is for life.

• Posted

i was told, and i have read from numerous studies that around 50-60% of people that have the post infectious version of IBS will recover completely between 6 months-5 years of initial symptoms. it can just take some time for your body to adjust to what is happening apparently?

• Posted

You will have to wait and see what happens. IBS is such an individual thing that it really depends on the person. Research can be very general and doesn't always apply to everyone. If you are diagnosed with post infectious IBS, hopefully you will be one of those who get rid of it. However, nothing is certain.

• Posted

In addition to IBS it sounds like you also have the stomach flu which makes IBS worse. Stomach flu can be treated with anti-biotics available by prescription. All this can be verified with a CT scan.

• Posted

hi, IBS is used so easily as a diagnosis these days . yes you may have it but for all this to be so new to you and troublesome I would personally advise you to ask for scans or other investigations before settling on IBS. I say this with experience , it is not always due to the IBS. me and my father are proof of that in the last 2 years. I was diagnosed years ago and they missed diverticulitis which perforated my bowel eventually . I was given omeprazole ams colofsc and diclofenac for years to no avail. then I got poorly over xmas and ended up having to see doctor who assumed appendix pain. it was in fact perforated bowel and I was sepsis, it never needed to get that had they not assumed IBS all the way . and my dad he complained with food poisoning symptoms , he actually had aggressive cancer. unlike your symptoms though plus he had dropped in weight dramatically over 2 months, the doctors still were not bothered! I am not telling you this to worry you , I'm telling you because its fact, IBS is not the cause of every stomach issue, and some people are suffering hugely due to this misdiagnosis .

if tests show nothing else then ibs has to be managed more personally. knowing what ticks your tummy off helps. dairy and cooking oils and seeded foods will likely flare things up .

lots of water should be had daily too .

but please do ask for tests, what's to lose ?

good luck

• Posted

i will certainly give it some time, its very strange for me to have these painful symptoms but if they do not begin to subside over the next couple of weeks (which im sure they wont as they have been ongoing for a few months) then i will certainly ask for some further tests.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.