Post infectious IBS or something more?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Where do I start? I'm not sure how relevant the back story is to my current issues but it might help get some answers.. I'm 23 years old and male.

My stomach has always been sensitive, but I could handle spice, alcohol and pretty much any foods without worry. I recently went travelling for 5 and a half months, months 1-2 spent in Malaysia and Thailand. Whilst in Thailand I had stomach issues (wretching, could hardly stand up, unusual bowel movements (can only describe as fluffy with mucus). I saw three doctors, took anti acid medication along with 'Norofloxacin' for a suspected upper bowel infection and almost immediately went back after finding a worm, roughly two inches long in the toilet bowl. I was also then given a course of 'Mebendazole', though the doctor seemed reluctant to accept that the stomach issues were due to the parasite, as they were so common. 

After a while I started to feel a bit better, but not normal by any means, and was told to take charcoal tablets to rid my gut of potentially bad toxins. My symptoms then started to appear again, in the form of bloating, loose stool, feeling drained and nausous. It wasn't long after this I developed eustachian tube dysfunction and so wasn't whether it was the ear or the stomach to blame for dizziness and off-balance. Going back to a medical clinic in Malaysia, I was prescribed the following:

'Hyoscine Butylbromide'

'Rebamipide'

'Itopride Hydrochloride'

'Esomeprazole'

The doctor insisted that I had developed acid reflux and damaged the lining of my bowel post-infection, and these medicines started to really help me - I felt good for a while, the acidity, bloating and stood seemed to return almost to its normal state. I then went to Australia, where my symptoms seemed to be almost gone, other than waking up most mornings with a dull ache in my abdomen, which went away throughout the day, and an increase in gas from prior to leaving for the trip in the UK. Before leaving Australia I noticed a similar looking worm, dead this time - accompanied by  cramping and the ache in the morning. I decided to get some more Mebendazole from a pharmacy and took it, which didn't actually relieve me of many symptoms. 

Anyway I wouldn't say I have been fully right since Thailand, and actually got worse recently to the point where I decided to return to the doctor, where I had blood tests and two stool samples sent away to check for thyroid issues, coeliac, parasites etc.. everything came back normal, and my symptoms are worsening. I wake up with lots of gas, noisy stomach, cramping throughout the day, feeling like I need to empty my bowels but usually not much comes out (I wouldn't say I am constipated though) and passed blood on a single occassion about a week ago (none since). Worst of all, I get waves of feeling absolutely drained, to the point where I am having to leave my friends and family and just go and lie down and I now consider 'normal' just having the cramping, gas, and sicky feeling with lots of squeeky noises coming from my bowel. It's really starting to affect my life and I can almost hear the doctors muttering 'anxiety' and 'probably IBS'. Can IBS really make you feel this ill? I refuse to believe it! I have heard that parasites can cause very similar symptoms, and don't always show from the stool testing. I have been told that a colonoscopy is a good idea, so will certainly consider that. I have been taking Yakult, eating yoghurt, trying to restore my gut flora and am taking peppermint capsules and back on the espramazole to reduce the sicky feeling. I am going to bring up the following possibilites when I see the doctor tomorrow:

- Candida Overgrowth (my girlfriend has issues with yeast infections and i have never seemed to suffer, at least I don't think so)

- Giardiasis/Blastocystis Hominis

- Crohns Disease/Ulcerative Colitis

- SIBO

- Lactose/Glucose Intolerance (Even though bloods returned normal)

- Cancer (very unlikely but want to rule this out)

could it all be post infectious IBS as my doctor suggested? What else would you recommend investigating? Any suggestions welcome as I can't go on living like this!

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Your strategy is "on track"...be sure to reduce ideas to writings. Not all physicians know what you may have contracted "specifically".. and that "matters". There are hundreds of parasites in Thailand, and from all plant and animal/food sources. Too often a medication will "mask" a diagnostic test or the test is a cheapee...

my take:

Unfortunately I acquired (Ambeiasis) in Thailand, once in Chaing Mai, and once in Bangkok. (I used Tetracycline) but there are other better medications..such as

(Nitazoxanide), with over a 90% cure rate.

Re:: Giardiasis can be treated with a single dose of tinidazole

To completely “reboot” your digestive system from oral cavity to annus..you need a qualified “nutritionist” for assistance once youve completed your physicians protocol..preferably in harmony with  nutritionist/physician.

It ought to include short duration initial fasting, mild antibiotic/antifungal, diet, and a variety of supplements.May take weeks to a few months…compliance “matters”.

• Posted

Fascinating information, I will consider the possibility of that. It's more the feeling of weakness, no energy that come and go. Makes me wonder if some of it could be anxiety working alongside the other symptoms, distorting the symptoms of whatever the stomach/digestive issue is. I might insist on a second stool test to double check the possibility of parasites, especially given my travels. Thanks for the input!
    • Posted

Weakness lack of energy..about a Brazilian possibilities..however comes and goes..may be your immune system is workin..may need boosting..nutritionist..NAC might help. Be sure liver enzymes are ordered. Would suggest milk thistle too but it might skew labs..and the ambiasis knocked all energy..bed bathroom 3 days lousy hotel got employee to fetch antibiotic..and like another posted followed with fresh garlic..stopped the gropings in tight quarters and mosquitos..large enough to cross breed with turkeys.
    • Posted

If I still had ambiasis, would it lie dormant for so long? Also I rarely have symptoms of D, if at all - my stool is sometimes loose but at the moment I would consider it fairly normal, albeit going more frequently and in less volume than before, with occassional evidence of mucus. Seeing the doctor today so I will give an update if I find some sort of miracle cure to all of this!
    • Posted

dormant? not likely, "supressed" ..possibly...keeping in mind the parasite's excreament is difficult to purge. Intermittent weakness and fatigure, mucus in stool, and frequency? most often seen in Clostridium Difficle..stool test. Going from a "hands on" process to a blind one isn't always fruitful. Best most of us can do is suggest non agressive type suggestions...NAC will help boost your immune system...Milk thistle will help boost the liver function, simprove will re introduce good colonic bacteria....none of these however will remedy C Difficle....hope your dr  1.will  listen carefully to your input, 2. can diagnose both via symptom time line, meds taken, and appropriate testing....Ann
    • Posted

Nick reminded me Cdifficle is associated with diarrhoea...so most likely your dr will diagnose IBS? as it qualifies under the Rome Criteria. But none the less...my 1. and 2. mentioned earlier yet apply...Have recently learned from meeting transcripts the urging to physicians to diagnose via symptoms and not testing due to cost concerns.
    • Posted

Ann, do u have any idea of costs? I ask because I've had every test going and have always said would it not be cheaper to have just done an MRI to rule out possible disease? I know MRI'S are very costly, but I've had 2 scopes, a white cell scan, numerous blood tests, ultra sound scans, hospital admissions, antibiotics via IV....

surely the coSt of all of these + staff doesn't beat the cost of 1 MRI?

• Posted

if dr's are constrained by policy, and diagnostic protocols "in place"...they have limitations. An MRI isn't an all-encompassing diagnostic tool...CT's with contrast can ID whereas MRI cannot.

In additon there are disorders that cannot be "ID:" by any current diagnosit tools...or "methods"...(I personally prefer MRI's in most

cases 1. non invasive, 2. precision) and the new machines are amazingly accurate...newest model used by Stanford on a close associate  for an acoustic neuroma)

2 recent cases...both related but both manifesting differently....arm, neck, hand pain with finger numbness...the other IBS, colitis, PMC, etc....cause and remedy a "root canal"..both discovered by "chance".

While these two are either rare or seldom reported and both the patients physician and patient "assumed" it was the antibiotic or anesthetic used for the root canal? that resolved the disorders.....its only to demonstrate diagnostic difficulties...quality diagnostics use cumulative knowledge of symptoms, then appropriate tests..do they always get it right? Surely they do.

I don’t have medical diagnostic advice for every symptom, both because I don’t have the background to give that kind of advice, and, even if I did, such as in your case,  I would not presume to diagnose  from a distance. I am knowledgeable with what is often prescribed for a specific probability... and the drugs of choice, ramificatons etc. However, I do encourage seeking advice from one's  Dr and when nothing seems to work...seek a variety of medical professionals with different backgrounds and specialties, and to remain optimistic while experimenting Begin with treatments that are very unlikely to hurt , even if they seem dubious or far-flung. (One may be tempted to begin with what  insurance will cover, and this is seldom a good guide.) Take charge of your own medical treatment. Experiment patiently on yourself. Don’t give up until you find something that works for you.

• Posted

I suffer from IBS attacks for the past 14 years, and trust me during these attacks weakness and inability to stand or have balance is very high, I feel weak, no energy, just want to lay down, unexplained gas, unexplained cramps that come and go, low-mood and periods of anxiety and stress. I found out it gets better some times and some times not.
    • Posted

My thoughs:

Most of us at one time have had IBS in the "clinical sense"...but lasting no more than a few days and not necessarily "debilitating".

Your symptoms do not qualify for Rome I, II, or III for IBS...unless your bowel symptoms go far beyond a few days, and D in particular. Otherwise your symptoms mirror a lyme type reaction, or less probable a Herxheimer reaction .

The etiology or cause of IBS type symptoms is thought to be multifactorial, with several factors

(including alterations in gut motility, small-bowel bacterial overgrowth, microscopic inflammation, post medications,  Lyme relapse, and  visceral hypersensitivity) all potentially implicated.

IMHO, I’d include a virus,  if taking medications the “possibility” of a Herxheimer reaction,(mentioned above)   a hidden infection like in the oral cavity, not necessarily demostrated in common CBC lab work up, parsititis, and a few others.

Remedy selection difficult, one must consider a diy protocol starting with anything that will not cause harm. Seek medical advice not only from one practice but several..keep at it until you've succeeded. Wish you well...Ann

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.