Post Injury Depression

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

I broke my (right) ankle holding down the brake in a car accident.  I had this injury (tibia popped up through the top of my foot) plus some internal injuries and spent three days in shock trauma.  It is now 7 weeks since the injury and I am on my feet (with black boot) and back to work part-time.  I am taking UBER to work because I can't drive for another month or so.  I know I have lots to be thankful for but I am afraid to drive.  Plus I feel like I am 1/2 person at work .........  I almost feel like it is PTSD.  Anyone else have this post injury/accident issue?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'd say its to be expected after an injury like that. I broke my tibia & fibula  5 months ago and have a plate one side  and screw the other..I'm lucky in I'm self employed although my work dried up as I couldnt market myself..

I was very active and into speed windsurfing and am finding myself very depressed watching everyone else out  breaking speed record in the best season we've ever had.I'm walking around now but still limping and can't go down stairs properly.

Having a car accident would be even worse because of the fear of driving..I was thankful I was self employed as it gave me more scope to manage the injury and the boss ( theoretically ..should be sympathetic..lol's)

• Posted

hiya,i know just what you mean,i fell three storeys off of a ladder at work when i was a window fitter,after i had my ankle fused i decided to train as a plasterer to get away from windows and what do you know?.....my first job was rendering the outside of a hotel five storeys up hahaha,i stood there looking up at the ladder and thought "well ive got to get over this sometime,and now seems perfect"and just went for it,just take your time,do things at your own pace,grit your teeth and as nike says"just do it",good luck with getting back behind the wheel,you can do it,

• Posted

Hey I'm sending you a massive hug!

You have gone through a major trauma.

I would suggest going to see your doctor if you are feeling low.

X

• Posted

Hi Mary.

I too have had ankle surgery. I am back at work part time and I really understand how you feel about being half a person. I manage a dept of finance and admin staff. I was initially off for 4 weeks and my amazing team coped brilliantly without me. The upside of that is that I have obviously trained them well and always encouraged them to think for themselves. The downside is that I feel now that they don't really need me and my managers must see that. I'm sure I'm the only person that thinks this way but it is very real to me. I do understand how you feel but don't have a solution I'm afraid. If you find one please share. I wish you well with your recovery. Xx

• Posted

Hi all,

Thank you all for the kind words.  Yesterday I kind of hit on part of the issue that in working part-time I wasn't feeling in control of my work - I was always chasing deadlines, work, and things I missed when off 6 weeks.  I now realize being back full-time in the next month will help a great deal.  I have been straddling two worlds - convalesing at home and trying to be back at work as I was before.  Thanks again and hugs.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.