Post Kyphplasty, need advice!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am a post menopausal 35 year old woman with severe osteoporosis. 15 weeks ago, I had a kyphoplasty for a compression fracture that never healed right. It left a hole in my back, is still oozing. I have pain and numbness in my legs and a burning feeling on the bottom of my feet. For the last four days I have been short of breath, and can only get up for short periods of time. No fever or cough. I have hypertension and tachycardia. My blood pressure/oxygen/heart rate are a bit low when laying down. I have mild discomfort in my chest and what i understand is called pulsatile tinnitis (looked it up online) which has kept me from sleeping. Yesterday, day 3, I went to the er because I wanted to be sure it wasn't a bloodclot or heart attack. Everything came back okay except my potassium was slightly low. I feel like horrible. Has anyone gone through something similar?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Get your self to the ED NOW! the shortness of breath can be caused if the surgeon accidentally got some of the bone cement in your pulmonary artery. Google pulmonary cement embolism. This is rare but it happened to me just last year. The bone cement will travel thru your pulmonary artery up thru your heart and into your lungs. Depending on how much there is will depend on your symptoms. A CT can rule this out. The hole in your back sounds like an infection has occurred. This also needs prompt attention.

• Posted

She says in her post that emergency had checked her out and all was fine except potassium level. I hope she went back and told them what had happened to you. How are you now, Amkoffee?

• Posted

Wow I totally missed that sentence. I blame it on old age. LOL!

I am doing OK. I'm off oxygen except at night. That will probably be the case forever but at least I don't have that thing in my nose all the time.

Thanks for asking.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.