Post laparoscopic hysterectomy

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've just had a total hysterectomy - uterus, ovaries, tubes and cervix.

I'm feeling great.  My gynaecologist has agreed to my continuing Estrofem.  I'm wondering what changes there will be to my body after withdrawal of progestogen.  I'm 66 and have been on HRT since 50.  Had endometrial thickeing which showed dysplasia on biopsy so no cancer as such.  Op done more as proactive measure as also had ovarian cyst - benign. 

Will my tum settle down - it seems very bloated just now?  I'm also very bruised but that's my pale skin.  Lyn

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Yes your tum will settle.

You are still full of air, amazing how big they pump you up to give them room to move around inside and not hit anything they are not supposed to hit.

I got shoulder pain after a op, caused by trapped air inside, not hysterectomy, that was later and full open tummy surgery, so have been there and done this pelvic clearance issues.

Best thing that ever happened, never been so well after I got over the initial surgery recovery period, am same age as you.

Have given up on HRT, needed at first due to terrible withdrawl after hysterectomy, but about 2 years was able to stop taking completely, not recommended after breast cancer issues, or so they tell me.

• Posted

Thanks Lyn.  I don't want to give up HRT.  Some of the research on HRT and breast cancer is flawed.  There's not actually a lot of research on it.  I know many people who've had breast cancer and very few have taken HRT.  I think that I'll take my chances.  I know my gynaecologist would like me off it but he says that it's my choice.  My GP of 30 years says that I'm well informed and intelligent.  I don't know if he prescribes it for others but possibly would if asked.  The Ministry of Health here seems to be very conservative on it saying to be on for a minimum amount of time.  I see older women really suffering with flushes, not sleeping and possibly other things that they don't share!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.