Post-liver inflammation problems

Posted , 4 users are following.

About two weeks into May, I went to my GP because I was concerned about some sickness/various other issues I was having, and he referred me for a blood test to see what was going on. We found out that I had an elevated liver enzyme count, and we had a hard time pinpointing exactly what was causing it (about four blood tests) although it seemed to definitely be liver inflammation, with my GP mostly sure it was hepatitis A. Given that this goes away on its own, I elected to take things easy for a bit and let nature take its course.

About a week or so ago, I went for another blood test and my GP confirmed that my liver enzymes had returned to normal. Over the course of my 'hepatitis' I'd lost a fair bit of weight (roughly 15-20 lbs) and had a lot of sick spells, but the weight loss seemed to have stopped, as did the sickness, for the most part. However, my bowel movements haven't really gone back to normal--a lot of them are still quite loose and watery, and I seem to get a fair bit of trapped gas that can be somewhat of a nuisance. My ability to eat hasn't really returned to its regular standard either. Additionally, my head tends to feel a bit strange when I'm standing or sitting up (heavy, maybe) and I can get occasional dizzy spells when I stand up from laying down that only last a few seconds. This doesn't seem to be a problem when I'm laying down, and I don't think it's down to dehydration as I'm drinking enough for my urine to be near clear. Now, I'm not sure how much of this can be attributed to the liver inflammation winding down, or if any of it could be down to anxiety (which my GP thought was likely) or something else entirely.

I've been dealing with hemorrhoids recently as well--one an external hemorrhoid, which causes the occasional minor bleeding when I wipe a bit too hard, and which has swollen and become painful in the past. Based on a spell of heavy rectal bleeding with bowel movements that lasted a few days at the start of the month, my GP is assuming I also have internal hemorrhoids. This makes sense, as I've occasionally had slightly thinner stools, and sometimes it can feel like I need to pass one (perhaps because of a swollen internal hemorrhoid that feels like a lump of stool on its way out).

Essentially, I'm trying to figure out what's being caused by what. My GP assumes the bowel problems and the previous liver problems are separate, but I'm still curious as to whether or not some of these symptoms in different areas could be connected, and whether or not my previous liver inflammation has caused any of my current symptoms. Any advice as to what's going on in my body would be greatly appreciated, as I like to hear from other people who have been in similar places. I am scheduled to visit my GP in two days, as well. If possible, I'd also love to know what the best way to ease the head/dizziness problem I mentioned earlier is, as it's probably the biggest nuisance of the lot.

Thank you!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hello you. I have pbc of the liver.. First diagnosed. Then had hurrendous Bowel issues to now being diagnosed with sle and Polymyositis and Dermatomyositis with rheumatoid arthritis. Get some bloods done for a Ana positive and anti-nuclear markings x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.