Post lumbar laminectomy

Posted , 66 users are following.

Hi there. I am a 50 year old female who had lumbar laminectomy at L3/4 eight weeks ago for lumbar stenosis and spondylolisthesis. The surgeon also performed a dynamic stabilisation at this level. As I understand it, this involves the insertion of a flexible and rod and screws, similar to fusion but allowing more flexion at this level while at the same time preventing the vertebra from slipping. Prior to surgery, I was unable to walk or stand for more than 5 - 10 minutes without becoming uncomfortable because of weakness in my legs and a tight cramping sensation in my buttocks. Surgery has relieved me of these symptoms, but I now have aching in my lower back, groins and hips when standing or walking for more than 5 - 10 minutes. I wasn't given any physio follow-up after discharge from hospital, but have had a couple of sessions with a private physiotherapist. She seems to think that these pains are due to the ligaments and muscles having to stretch as my spine as been realigned and my pelvis is now tilted forwards instead of backwards as it was before. Has anyone else experienced similar pains and if so, how long did it take for them to resolve? I am also very stiff first thing in the morning and when getting up from a sitting position. I do not have any pain when sitting or lying down. Many thanks in advance. All comments will be gratefully accepted.

6 likes, 107 replies

107 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

it's a long story....started with the pain and weakness in my legs and only able to walk for a few mins and not able to stand for more than a min. went to see a neurosurgeon who did various tests, MRI ex ray nuclear scan, came to the conclusion that I had severe arthritis of the spine and stenosis both lumba and cervical, after trying injections, physio, tablets, all not working, so he suggested the op, but since then have arthritis of the right hip and left knee, so now have to have hip replacement first and maybe knee replacement. hopefully having the hip done when I come back from the States, they do say you can't fly for 12 weeks so will have to have it done in July when I come back, so the spine surgery will have to be later.

I am a big wuss so dreading it, but we live in france in a ski area and have not been able to ski this year and last year only once, so hopefully will be skiing next year.

the only thing is I am 63 and have high blood pressure and type 2 diabetic, hate old age.......

• Posted

Lynn,

Your remark that "It's a long story", your age as I was 64 when I  had my surgery (two 9" rods, three stablizers and about nine screws) put in me on my birthday 1-5 of 2014 and have type 2 diabetic, arthritis of the body, etc., "hit me inbetween the eyes" as we say here "accross the pond"

I am tell you the following story not so others will feel sorry for me, but to let you know that I/we can relate to you somewhat, although each person walks their own path of pain in life. 

In May of 2014 I had surgery on my right wriste, CT its call as my right had was going numb a lot from my 20 year battle with type 2 diabetics.  The game plan was to do the right hand, then 4 to 6 weeks later do the left hand which never happen.  About 4 or 5 weeks after the surgery I noticed like a bruse (mid July now) starting at my spine running in a line around to the center of my chest.  As I had had a shingles shot, I just endured the disconfort for sever d said that the shots did not always protect someone who's system might be weaken by recent surgery.  I though that the pain of the wriste surgery had prepared me for the pain and discomfort of the shingles.  It usually takes about 8 to 10 weeks for the shingles to run their course on you body.  Little did Iknow that the shingles was preparing me for a major surgery the first part of October. 

The first part of October my family doc sent me to a cardivasclar physician as I was having "funny" heart beats and problems breathing.  I went into the hospital for some test and woke up a day later flat on my back with all these tubes.  I was told I had to have open heart surgery with 4 bypasses.  I was in the hospital for about a week when one evening I felt that I should check myself out about 1 AM in the morning. 

Hope is a substance that we sometimes can not see or feel at the time, but I have come to believe that as long as we believe in tomorrows we can have hope for a life with  less pain and disconfort.  And I hope we all have many tomorrows....

Best Regards,

Ron

• Posted

Lynn,

I am not sure what happen to my reply, I hope lol, you got the first part as the best is yet to come.  So I was home resting from the open heart surgery which the doc said could take 6 months to a year to recover from.  We had a nic holiday, on the evening of December 29, 2013 I was upstairs prepairing for bed when I smelled something.  Turning around I saw a thick smole and as I walked to my door saw the upper loft and stairwell were in flames.  I went back into my room, opened the window as I was on the second story of my daughters home to breathe.  I had seen t v newsclips of people leaping out of window to excape a fire but it seemed so unreal.  Finally the hear from the fire was such that I got up in the window and leaped for the ground.  I don't remember much entill I woke up in the hospital the next afternoon.  Straped down and told I could not move more that 9 degrees for a few day until I could be stable enough for back surgery.  Seems I passed out from the force of hitting the ground.  Was taken to the trama center then had 2 rods, 3 stablizers and about 9 screws put in me.  After surgery I was told that I now could move up to 15 degrees, there was a meter on my bed to keep me in line.  Whenever I moved much I had muscle spasms, as many of you know that was a new kind of pain for me.  After about a week I was taken down for physical treatment.  I had feelings below my waist but found I could only saffle my feet using a walker.  I was fitted for a front and back upper body brace which I ended up wear for 7 months.  I have learn to walk again, sit up and lay down but my nighttime leg cramps now are with me during the day and into my right hip.  (I am told I landed on my right leg) and my right leg is now 1/2 inch shorten now...lol My driver license expired on my birthday when I had surgery.  I had to learn to use those back, hip and leg muscles again.  I took my written driver test about a month ago and am scheduled to take my driving road test next Tuesday the 23.  

I feel I am blessed as I am alive after two surgeries within 2 months of each other, and I have feeling and pain..lol from the waist down.

Please wish me luck on my driving test and lift up a pray for me as I will for you.

Ron

• Posted

hello Ron,  

It sounds like you have been through the wringer, I hope things are improving amd that you get you drivng permit.  I have had my hip replacement 8 weeks ago and doing great, although finding it difficult to come to terms with having a titanium rod in my leg, and seem to be having panic attacks when it gets to about 7 pm, but thats me wortier about everything.  Hope things can only get better for you. big hug, Lynn

• Posted

Morning Lynn,

Nice to hear from you, what is the time difference as I am on Centrol Time Zone Sunday here 10:57 AM I take my driving test Tues. 23 of Sept.  With both of us having metal in our bodies we might set off the metal detectors at a airport...lol...you think?  Tell me about your panic attacks, might those be a built up from the tensions of the day.  I have had those and find doing something physical or , like working on my family genealogy seems to take my mind off stuff for a while.  I have been teaching my tree grandkids to draw, two grandsons 8 and 13 and a grand daughter 5 who has me wraped around her finger...  Also before I go to sleep, I lay in bed on my back (I had to learn to sleep on my back) I fold my arms, hands over my rib cage and hum with each breath.  Its pleasent to me and I can feel the hum vibrating from the top of my bald head to my toes.  I talk to myself..I say "Self", funny...I tell my body how well it is doing and that my body and mind will get a good  nights rest and wake up refreshed.  It surprises me when it happens....  My daughter had to have a hip replacement about a year ago, she does very well now.  Thanks for the hug, as hugs can carry a lot of positive energy depending on the person sending it out. So heres is a big one back, have a nice day.

Ron

Ron

• Posted

Good sfternoon Ron, you made me laugh, talking to yourself, I do that, I say get a grip, if things are going to happen worrying isnt going to help!!! but still do...lol.  I live in the French Alps so wouldnt know what time Central Time is, my daughter lives in North Chicago and they are 7 hours behind us, so 12 noon there is 7pm here.

I have no idea why I have them but I start thinking all types of things, like what happens if I have allergic reaction to thetitanium, what happens if i get a sore throat and the infection goes to my hip!! and tgey have to open me up again, do all on all its everything, but in the morning I feel fine, I wonder if its something like people suffer after they have had a major trauma in there lives... but its not nice, its like post traumatic stress.. 

I wish I lived closer go my family and grandchildren they are a true blessing and add so much to our lives, I miss them like mad. think its just old age...

Your daughter must have been young when she had her THR.

Thank you for your hug.  I went to PT this afternoon and he gave me a massage which was really wonderful.

Going to try the humming tonight...  Not long now for your test, let me know how you get on, hope its good news. x

• Posted

Massages are nice and healthy for you as it help with what one PT called "skin hunger" the hunger to be touch by another person.

Let me know how the humming goes,  I think I might do a lot of humming this evening for tomorrow....  I test at 3 PM my time tomorrow.  Thanks for you support... do some humming for me....lol

Ron

• Posted

Lynn,

Well........I did not Not pass....lol  I passed thanks for your humming, maybe you could be a H.T. ....The photo on the diving lincense is bad,  I look like needly person from a 4th, yes 4th not 3rd world country.  But I am still blessed to be walking, etc.

Ron

• Posted

Congratulation and celebrations..... my humming worked, bet ypur pleased, you cant get anywhere in the states without a car... IThink photos on passports or anything look as if you should have a number under them!!!!! 

Have a great day.

Lynn

• Posted

I guess I can call you "humming Jamet" now...lol  With my various medical problems it has been a year since I drove.  My daughter and a medical van service took me to doctor appointment, etc.  My car battery is dead from lack of use.  Unless you live downtown a car is a must here in the US. 

Later, Ron

• Posted

Hello Ron,      How are things? long time since we spoke
    • Posted

Hi Ron...how are you feeling at this point? Wow, you certainly went through the ringer, didn't you?? Ortho surgery with a hx of Diabetes, followed by Shingles, then Quadruple CABG and then having to jump out of a window to escape a house fire.. I hope that you and your family had a wonder holiday season. When I read your posts and those of others, I realized how fortunate I am to be having such an easy post operative period. And, I remind myself that a few periodic pelvic or hip cramps are nothing as compared to the awful pain I had just to stand up and to take a step forward before surgery. God bless.
    • Posted

Lynn, I am also 63 with high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes .  My wound is having a hard time healing.  After a month from the surgery for the spinal fusion I am now being seen by home health care to pack the would with "mesalt" to try to get it to close.  The doctor had to cut open my surgery site because of excessive fluid.  I've only had them here 2 times but I understand after 2 weeks they should see some improvement and some healing begin.  The doctor took a deep biopsy to see what kind of infection may be present also. So far I haven't heard from him but IF this is due to an infection, they will change from the mesalt to an antibiotic to pack the open wound with.  Good luck dear.  This has been the worse experience of my life.  I hope you do better than I have.

• Posted

Hi Sandra , I had a spinal fusion six weeks ago and had the same pains two weeks after. Now I just have stiffness and a very hard abdomen . Don't know what that has to do with the back surgery.i feel the rods all the time and sometimes it is painful . 

Wonder if the feeling will go away? 

How are you doing now?

• Posted

I am 6 months post op from a laminectomy with spinal fusions L-3-5.  Very tough surgery and recovery.  Went to hell and back I think.  I went back to work after 10 weeks.  I'm an elementary teacher.  I still can feel pain from the bone grafts and the rods.  I continue to wake up with stiffness and weather plays into it as well.  I also feel spasms when I over do it.  I no longer have the leg pain or numbness that I had before the surgery.  I still cannot stand at a sink and do dishes without low back pain and I cannot vaccumn, pull weeds or anything that requires a lot of bending, twisting, pulling or lifting.  It's all a little frustrating but I'm not very patient in this healing process.  I'm a little overwhelmed to say the least.  I wore my back brace for three months, removed the plates from the brace and wore the soft brace for a month.  Now I wear no brace but feel like there I times I want to put it back on.  I made strawberry jam today and the standing and smashing of berries may have been too much.  My back went into spasms and was very painful.  Guess I learned the hard way not to over do it.  Ugh!  sad  
    • Posted

Hi Bonnie, how are you doing now? I am new to the forum and just recently began researching back surgery. My mom who is 76 is going through consult for it. She has had problems for at least 10/15 yrs and taking Vicodin to stop the pain. She has a dropped foot or the big toe and one next to it. What caught my eye in your post was the patient part. My mom isn't...and she's a neat freak who cleans, vacuums and bends down to pick weeds too?! Are you better? Was the surgery a good choice?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.