Post Lumbar Stenosis surgery (Stiffness)

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had severe sciatica and I had Lumbar Stenosis surgery about 2.5 half months ago.  Everything was OK except that my back is stiff and sometimes I have a little pain if I work out.  I am able to swim and exercise lightly, my sciatica is gone.  I have a feeling my stiffness is there because I didn't stretch or do any exercise after the operation.

Does any one have any hints on how to tackle this such heat, cold, motrin exercise to improve my situation.  I am feeling OK but I just want to be better if thats possible.  

2 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Lumbar Stenosis Fusion. Lumbar 4 and 5 I think.
    • Posted

TLIF (they went through your back and you have rails and screws) or LLIF (they went through your side and inserted a "device"wink.

My two pictures show a TLIF (L3 through S1) and an LLIF for stenosis at L2/L3.  Which one is yours?

• Posted

they went through my back and added rails and screws.
    • Posted

That's the old, traditional way to do a fusion, especially when the problem is multi-level even though you had a one-level fusion.  I had mine done in 2015; took 4-6 months to recover.  Back brace, PT twice a week, etc.  So, for you, you're still in that "pain zone" after your op.  Your lower back is weak, they retracted your nerve roots, and more.  Your PT people need to get you to the point where you are mostly past the time of most pain but also INSTRUCT you in the exercises that will improve your flexibility WITHOUT impacting the fusion.  Remember, the bones have to actually FUSE and this takes up to a year.

Example: After a fusion, golfers are FORBIDDEN to swing a club for six months and then only gently for another six.  You do NOT want to push your back and jeopardize the healing of the bones.

So, you are still early in your healing...give it time.  Expect stiffness and some residual pain...back off and rest.  Stiffness can be addressed by gently stretching...your PT or an ACSM-certified trainer can help you.  Seek out professionals with back fusion experience.  (Note: When you try to Google this stuff, make sure that the articles you come to rely on are CURRENT, not just the most popular.  Also, make sure that they are reliable sites like NIH, Mayo Clinic, etc. and not some stupid sites pushing products.)

In the end, you may be pushing it too much...it takes time to heal.  Bending will ALWAYS be an issue with fusion.  Too much and you risk blowing out L3/L4.  No heavy lifting, squat instead of bend.

Just curious why your docs didn't do an LLIF for your stenosis.  My doc could have ripped out all my metal and re-fused me L2 through S1.  That would have left me back at the beginning of another 6-12 month recovery.  My LLIF was a 90-minute operation with a one-night hospital stay and zero rehab...like it never happened.  I woke up and was walking and climbing stairs with no stenosis pain 2 hours after surgery.  Yes, some residual nerve pain because of nerve root retraction for a few weeks but that was it.  Search YouTube for "globus lateral" for a cute animation.  Amazing technology.  Since they use an actual Allen wrench to expand the intervertebral device after insertion, I had to give my doc his official Brooklyn Wiseguy Moniker...he's now known as Tommy "The Wrench" Ellis...

Remember...if you have ANY continuing pain, go see your doc.  Good luck.

• Posted

HI, I've had the same operation and like you it sorted my sciatica almost instantly.

I was advised to take things slow at first with plenty of gentle stretching, I'm 18st 6'2" and have always struggled with the gentle part of doing things and the word pacing keeps being mentioned! 

In short my op was in 2013 and my surgeon explained that the op would work and it did, but more importantly he told me as I suffer from spinal stenosis that it was only a temporary fix and it would come back at varying levels. 

Now it is back with a spiteful vengeance, the reason I'm passing this on is that I've now enrolled with an osteopath who I've seen 4 times so far and it works wonders along with mild Pilates. 

I wish you every success with your own pain journey to a better place in mind and body! 

Regards Dave

• Posted

If you ever need another one level fusion, please consider the LLIF procedure.  In and out, no rehab.
    • Posted

thanks for the advise.  I was planning to play tennis next week.  I haven't played in 6 years.

• Posted

Watch torquing the back especially playing singles (I also have a TKR and we can only play light doubles).  I know that golfers are FORBIDDEN to swing a club for six months post-op and then only gently for another six.  People forget that a "fusion" means that the bones have to actually FUSE TOGETHER!!!  Any twisting, bending, heavy lifting, etc. is an absolute no-no for a year...at least.  You cannot risk interfering with those bones knitting together no matter how "good" you feel.  Anytime you want to do something ill-advised, have a good friend come over and duct tape you to a chair...and then hit you upside the head with a 2x4.  Works in Brooklyn where we always "leave the gun...take the cannoli."

• Posted

I decided against playing tennis and will swim instead.  Thanks for the feedback Chico.
    • Posted

Swimming is the most perfect-est exercise anyone can do!!!
  • Posted

Try out the DETENSOR traction therapy system, beneficial in cases of sciatica relieving symptoms as you present. Hospitals, respectively physicians, recommend the cost-effective Detensor-Method.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.