Post Marsup Update (positive experience and advice from my surgeon)

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have had five bartholins cysts over a period of about four years. Three times I've had it lanced, fourth it ruptured on it's own, and rcently I finally had it removed (the cyst, not gland) and marsupialized. I just want to share with you all my experience and what I was told my my doctor. 

My surgery was done under general anesethic, which I would recommend anyone having it done insist on having. There's no reason for it to be done only with local, in fact my doctor used both. My surgery only took 30 minutes, and I was in the hospital for six hours. Afterwards, I had pain for only about a day and bleeding for a couple of days. It's only been two weeks but I am so happy with this experince and hope to never have to deal this problem again! 

Advice and info I've gathered mostly for my doctor: I was lucky to find an OBGYN who is also a practicing surgeon (she was the 4th Dr. I'd been to about this) and she did an AMAZING job. 

1. Alternate between ice and wet heat on area (mostly ice though) prior to procedure.

2. DO NOT have in lanced more than once. It will only keep coming back and build up scar tissue, making surgery more difficult. (lancing recurrence rate is 30% and marsup is 3%)

3. Don't take sitz baths or any other type of bath after surgery as it could reinfect the area. 

4. If you shave, that likely contributes to the problem. 

5. Again, don't have it marsup'ed under only local anesethic, if your Dr. suggests that, find another one! it is cruel and unnecessarily painful.

I'd recommed my doctor to anyone dealing with this horrible problem, so if anyone around south eastern/central PA happens tos read this, let me know and I'll give you her name!

I'd really love to start a website for info on this issue as well as doctor reviews because that seems to make a world of difference.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I just had mine drained today, but still feel the lump....is this normal?
    • Posted

Yes. In my experience anyway. My labia was still enlarged for several days and I could still feel a hard spot in there for a bit.
    • Posted

Oh okay...because it isn't smaller yet or anything either still the size of a grape

• Posted

But I also did not get a catheter put in...so I hope that won't effect it negatively

• Posted

I didn't have mine catheterized either. Is the hard spot still the size of a grape or the general area?

• Posted

The hard spot...so I am going back in today. Because it feels like nothing was done except having pain added
    • Posted

Yeah, that doesn't seem right if it's the entire hard spot. Mine was about the size of a pea afterwards and the pain changed to more of a sharp pain

• Posted

Just went in again, and they weren't able to get in a catheter, but the size has finally decreased a bit....will see how it is after this week of antibiotics!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.