Post mastectomy options

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been diagnosed with breast cancer following routine screening 2 weeks ago.  After several biopsies I've been told I need a mastectomy and have to decide on whether I want implant reconstruction or to have nothing and use prosthesis.  It's been a lot to take in over the last 2 weeks and I'm not sure whether to opt for reconstruction or try the prosthesis.  Autologous flaps are not an option for me.  I'm concerned about the amount of surgery required if I opt for implants.  I'd really appreciate hearing from anyone who has been through a mastectomy and had reconstruction implants, or those who had no reconstruction and are managing with prosthesis.  They are pushing me for a decision so the operation can be booked - having implants some time after the mastectomy has not been mentioned but from looking through this site I see this may be an option.  I am seeing the consultant oncoplastic and reconstructive breast surgeon on Thursday who may give me more information/guidance. I also have to decide whether to keep the nipple  in which case they will take shavings and if it has spread I will have to have another operation to remove the nipple, or to sacrifice the nipple at the time of mastectomy.  So many decisions to be made.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi 

I had a mastectomy and had part reconstruction may 2017. It takes about 6 months to fully complete reconstruction from having expander fitted during mastectomy operation to having the exchange with the implant. I can honestly say my whole experience was fine. I would also say that I lost my nipple due to type of cancer. I had lobular. Hope this helps. Good luck with your op. 

• Posted

Hi, after 3 attempts (3 ops) to remove my dcis in 2015 I had a left sided mastectomy with immediate reconstruction with an implant in the October. Because my skin had been damaged after 3 previous incisions, I didn't have enough skin to cover the same size implant as my remaining right breast so a slightly smaller one was fitted and no nipple. However it was the right decision for me. I just add a small insert in my bra. I think that having nothing on one side wouldve put my body out of kilter and given me back problems. I was 49 then. I just got it over and done with, couldn't face prolonging future surgeries and more hospital visits, not worth it. Everyone's decision IS unique to them. So sorry about your diagnosis but there is light at the end of the tunnel. I'm happy with life again and have just had to get on with my body being different. It could've been a lot worse right? Good luck xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.