Post meniscus surgery Knee Pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

BACK STORY: Surgery 4 month ago.Very bad tear.Enlarged lateral meniscus.Doc used blood clot and sutures to repair.Healed well because Im young (19).Cyst and was lateral and slightly anterior towards patella.3 scars-2 on the sides of patella, 1 large scar half inch laterally from where the cyst was. 

PROBLEM: Since 2 months post surgery I noticed pain/inflammation in area just under large scar.Location is inch above fibular head and maybe half inch anterior.Basically its a bump as noticeable as my fibular head and painful when pressed/massaged.1 month ago I got an MRI and doc said meniscus was fine and the area of pain just looks like scar tissue and related complications but still not sure.After many weeks the pain and related inflammation hasnt changed and I have tried everything from weight lifting for hip and thigh muscles to stretches/massaging/icing the area and surrounding tendons/tissues but no noticeable change.Dont think its IT band syndrome cause the bump is just under the lateral epicondyle.The bump is near many tendons and ligaments and stuff but doesnt directly intersect any of them.The pain comes after leaving leg bent for too long or doing weight lifting.I played some basketball and the impact caused no immediate pain but the day after the bump was very sore.Also I can temporarily massage the bump down to semi flat but there is always a very hard structure(scar tissue or maybe bone?) still in the way which concerns me for slight tibial torsion.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hey there

I also have a lateral radial tear, but mine is small and ai have t had surgery bc mine is in the white zone and they think I'm fit enough to avoid it. However, mine acts up a lot so I may do PRP soon. 

When you say large lateral meniscus are you referring to the tear size or that you had a discoid meniscus?

Great idea to suture the tear bc you are young and the lateral meniscus takes a lot of the load with stability.

Did your dr do PRP with the repair.. you worded it as blood clots?

I would presume the bump is scar tissue. 

• Posted

Yes, I had a discoid meniscus.  My other lateral meniscus is probably discoid as well but I haven't noticed any symptoms of a tear there yet.

As for the blood clot, no I don't think it was PRP.  I'm pretty sure PRP is an injection.  My doctor literally made a coin-sized blood clot thing that looked like a cotton ball soaked in my blood.  They set it right on the tear and used sutures to hold it in place.

• Posted

And yes I assume the initial problem to my "bump" is scar tissue but my concern is that it creates so many complications and it's almost impossible to massage or stretch out without it just flaring up again the next time I'm physically active.

• Posted

Oh, I never knew they could do blood clot over the sutures, interesting. Luckily it was treatable. They only seem to want to cut mine out. No thanks if I can help it.

Maybe look into acupuncture to see if they can resolve the inflammation you get or help break down scar tissue.

Either way it all sucks. I’m still with my tear. Some days good, others not so good. And my fitness level went from 10 to a 5.  I feel for ya. 

Get better soon 

• Posted

Yeah, I was pretty lucky with what they were capable of doing.

Depending on how young you are and how small the tear is I'd actually suggest them cutting it as well since you say it acts up and the tear can become larger if not treated right....that's what happened to mine.

Thanks, I'll look into acupuncture.

You get better too and good luck.

• Posted

Hi there! I have an 11 yr with a large lateral bucket handle meniscus tear from a soccer injury. She had the same surgery as you with what sounds like the same incision areas. She is 4 months post op and is having the exact same pain along her larger incision site. MRI showed her repair was in tact but has swelling from scar tissue that’s causing irritation to her IT band. Hurts to bend her knee, etc. Were you able to find some relief?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.