post menopausal ?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi girls I was wondering if I am post

Menopausal I haven't had a period for about 4 years. I am 50 and had a baby at 41 so

Would I have been peri about 43 ? I had

Postnatal depression but maybe it was peri ? Am taking HRT patches and feel just as

Bad but its only been 2 week s but now

Have a kind of period which is weird after

Not having one in so long.

Its all so confusing and awful.

Thank you girls and lots of love

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Smartie,

Did you discuss any of this when you went to the doctor to get HRT patches? You say you haven't had a period in 4 yrs, sounds like you are post menopausal. You are considered post menopausal after 1 full year of no periods in our age group.

I think you should discuss the issue of having are recent period after not having one for 4 years with your doctor.

Yes, this is a very confusing time, hope that your doctor can help sort of your current issues seeing that you are on HRTs now. I do hope they make you feel better soon.

Anniexx

• Posted

Hi smartie,

Yeah it sounds like you are post now. Period free one year (some say two).

HRT can take up to 3 months to get full benefits.

I was about 43 when I got depression for no reason. I did have it a bit post natal I was 32 when I had my last child.

The peri depression was worse and lasted until about 2 weeks after starting HRT.

I then had a blip at 6 weeks in where things felt easily as bad and some (nausea and horrible taste) worse than they had been.

But really, much better now. I still have sleep problems and painful shoulders but HRT has made lots of things go like depression anxiety, painful feet. Hot feelings and libido has improved.

Some of the things seemed quite subtle but I guess if you don't feel as bad you don't really think about it as often as you do when you feel yuk.

I can remember quite a few times thinking oh I feel so normal, I'd say about a month into it. Then almost stopped taking it at six weeks. But improved again weeks 8 to 10.

I still get symptoms sometimes but they are here and soon gone again like I was in early peri.

I haven't had anxiety or palpitations for a few weeks now and the depression is over in a while instead of every day.

I did start having periods again, heavier the first month than they are now.

• Posted

Hi, the same thing happened to me. I had been using 200 mg progesterone, then added estrogen and now having light period. Doc said this might happen and I've read online that bleeding/spotting after starting hrt can take several months to go away.
    • Posted

I'm using HRT I bleed 7 days a month. I use 200mg progesterone 12 days and bleed day 7 to 14.

I'm post 3 years and yes my doctor said some women do and some don't.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.