Post menopausal bleed

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,I posted.a while ago,I am 55 and stressed out to the max,I had a period after 17months without,went to the doctors,under the 2 week rule went for a tvu,was told there was just a fibroid,had a follow up with the gyne,they said the lining of.my womb was thicker than they would expect as the norm,had to have a d and c,now have to wait to see if the sample was enough,if.not I have to have an investigation with a camera,now booked in for that on the 24th,then they will phone on the 23 to let me know if the sample.was enough,feel lost in medical jargon,has any one else been through this?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi lesley. I recently had a period after 12 months free of them. I had a scan which showed my lining was thickener. Booked in for a hysteroscopy under the two week referral( which frightened me too). The hysteroscopy is a telescope with a camera inserted into the womb. It showed three polyps which was why the womb looked thickened. My lining was 6mm and they like it to be under 5mm after menopause. Your bleed could just be a sudden flurry of hormones just enough to cause a bleed or polyps themselves bleed. Yours could be either one of those things.

If you read the forums on this site you will see that lots and lots of ladies have the same thing happen and they are fine.

Did they say what thickness your lining was?

• Posted

Hi,thanks for replying to my post,I understand a bit more now,the.lining is I think 7mm,they said it could be. It just looked thicker on the tvu.lesley
    • Posted

Hi. That is only 1mm more than mine. We are only talking 2mm over what they consider as normal which is marginal really. My gp told me that he was not overly concerned but had to follow the guidelines hence getting seen quickly. He also told me that he would have been slightly concerned if it was over 10mm so you really shouldn't be too worried. My polyps didn't show up individually on the tvu. It just showed as a general thickening.

Hormonal surges happen to a lot of women when they consider themselves post menopause. Apparently when you are a bit overweight fat cells produce oestrogen which can trigger a bleed as well. I don't consider myself overly big but a little overweight. I am not entirely sure whether the polyps caused my bleed or if it was a hormonal surge but whatever caused it wasn't sinister as is true in most cases. You are still very early into your menopause and maybe you aren't quite there yet. Take care.

Post on here when you get your all clear result which is sure to be the case.

• Posted

Hi Lesley, I am 54 yrs old, I had a period/spotting in March after 14 months without one.  I went to gyn and she did vag ultrasound which found a polyp and my lining was thick too...not sure the mm but i know it was over 5 ......anyway i didnt like her so i went to another gyn recently and she scheduled me for a D&C and hysterscopy (sp?) and biopsy for this thurs june 9th but now i have to push that back b/c they want cardiology clearance.  i am overweight and have some short of breath issues.  also just found out i have diabetes not that bad and have been put on metformin which surprisingly has helped with some of the peri symptoms, fatigue, etc.  i was originally diagnosed with endometrial hyperplasia and that first gyn said that my "extra" fat produces estrogen and i dont have enough progesterone to slough it off ...but surprisingly when i had blood work done recently tests showed i am NOT in menopause.  so who knows ??  i wish you luck with everything.  i want to get this over now. 
    • Posted

Hi kathleen,I am also over weight and I have copd,not a good combination, so I will have to see how my pre assessment goes..keep in touch.hope.all goes well.lesley
  • Posted

Hi Lesley, I've just turned 56, had not had a period for 12 months then suddenly had one. Wasn't worried as I had not had any blood test to confirm I was menopausal. So, when I went to my GP about another matter I casually asked if I should be using contraception! Wheels in motion straight away and before I could turn round I was having a scan which showed a very small fibroid and a slighty thicker womb lining thanthey would like - it was 6mm insteadof 4/5. I had a biopsy taken that day and the results came back after 10 days. Simple Hyperplasia was the diagnosis and they have given me a 3 month course of Progesterone. They will be doing another biopsy in Sept and with any luck it will be back to normal.Apparently it is very common so try not to worry too much.
  • Posted

Hi Lesley, I had something similar, then the fibroids were having a field day, I was given some exercises to do similar to kegals, it helped a lot. I had the camera thing done to me as well, just some tubal inflammation from the fibroids. It will pass as with everything else that comes along with this change of life. I had a D&C done as well, due to continuous bleeding, things are finally running smoothly. Hang in there, it will get better, I promise.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.