Post menopausal bleeding

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 62. Had some spotting checked out a year ago.  It stopped for 8 months.  Started up again.  Have had vaginal ultrasound showing uterine lining somewhat thickened.  Also had a biopsy which came back clear of cancer or precancerous.  The report did show proliferative cells.  Doctor put me on progestin.  At the four week mark, I have had a period!  Been bleeding for a week now.  Has anyone else had this experience?  It is very unnerving for me.  My last period was 8 years ago.  Doc said this could happen ,but will it stop?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Debbie, I had a very similar experience. I had post menopausal bleeding so my Dr did an ultrasound and said my endometrium was thickened so she did the biopsy which came back ok. She wanted to put me on progestin to bring on a period to shed the lining but I couldn't take it. I finally went to a new Ob/Gyn Dr who repeated the ultrasound and endometrial Biopsy. It all came back normal! It's such an unnerving time! The progestin will bring on a period in order to shed the thickened endometrium. But it should stop once that is accomplished! If it goes on for much longer or the bleeding gets heavy call your Dr. Hope this helps! We're all in this together!!.....and sometimes all we need is support from other women to make us feel like it's all going to be ok!!! Hang in there!!!
    • Posted

It seems that the bleeding is slowing down a bit yesterday and today.  It's never been heavy, just light to moderate, but today is day nine.  Do you think it may take that long for the lining to shed?  I still see very small pieces of tissue periodically so I know the progestin is doing it's job.  I don't want to call the doctor too soon, but I'm thinking that if I still have spotting  on Monday, I should call her.  Since you couldn't take the progestin, what course of treatment was taken in your case?  I'm thinking that if it doesn't stop, the next step may be a D&C.  Maybe I should just have a hysterectomy and not have to worry about it anymore!
    • Posted

I'm glad to hear the bleeding hasn't been heavy! That may be why it hasn't stopped yet. Are you still taking the Progestin? How long do you have to take it? I started the progestin but I had such horrible side effects that I stopped it. I ended up having a D&C which thankfully turned out ok. I wouldn't have a hysterectomy unless you absolutely have too. That can come with its own set of challenges! This menopause crap is not for the weak that's for sure!! Hope it all goes well for you.....and the bleeding stops soon!! Please keep me posted on how you're doing!! We women have to stick together!!!
  • Posted

Thank you, Pat.  It is reassuring to hear from someone who shares a similar experience.  It means a lot to me that you would take the time to reply to my concerns.
    • Posted

Debbie u are not alone with this its such a upsetting thing when this happens especially when u think this is all behind you .I was scared so much when I had a post menopause bleed last Saturday it sent me into a complete melt down .I am waiting on a scan but I am suffering with such panic attacks it's unreal. Hope you will start to feel better and get it sorted .take care

• Posted

I hope you receive a good report and will be feeling better soon.  Thank you for taking the time to write.

• Posted

Dear Debbie, sounds like you need an oblation, my uterine lining was twice as thick as normal, I still need to get this done, my cycles are scary heavy! Sounds like the Progestin triggered the period response.Let doc know to put you on something else, that is screwed up !!Love Stella42
  • Posted

I thought that was its purpose to clean out the lining. I hate meds like that. D and c so much faster and easier maybe then going thru that. That medicine gives you a chemical d and c at least thats the goal.
  • Posted

Hi Pat.  It's been over a month since we last talked.  I had a moderate to light period which lasted about two weeks.  I am still on the progestin and this month, as expected, I had another period that I would describe as only light.  Most of the time it is more like spotting, but when I think it is finally going to stop, I spot again once or twice a day.  I haven't called the doctor because I know she prescribed the progestin to calm down my lining and she wants to check the lining after six months of this therapy.  If you have forgotten my situation, I am 63 and experiencing post menopausal bleeding. The ultrasound showed thickened uterine lining, but the biopsy showed no cancer or ore cancer.  She said the lab results said proliferative endometrium.  So, I feel god about test results, but this whole continued spotting gets to me...just doesn't seem right at my age.  I guess I am looking for a bit more encouragement from someone I know has been through something similar.  The doc is on the progestin IUD and she said it took several cycles before she didn't have any period. So, I am playing the waiting game.  I am just flabbergasted that there is enough estrogen in my body to cause this proliferation.  I have been exercising and trying to lose some fat cells to see if that helps!  Hope to hear from you again and any other lady that can relate.  Thank you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.