Post Menopausal Fibroids - follow up or not?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I'me post menopausal and have been diagnosed with two uterine fibroids measuring 5.5cm and 3cm.  (I'm not having any bad symptoms from then - they were found 'incidentally').  A consultant had originally said he would do a hysterectomy which i immediately refused as they weren't causing me any problems.  I understood that he would do a follow up ultrasound scan 6 months later to check whether they had shrunk, stayed the same or were growing. I'm aware that fibroids usually shrink after the menopause (though not always).  I've read that if they grow after the menopause it is a strong indicator that they are cancerous.  I hadn't heard anything for a few months so asked my GP to chase up the consultant.  He has now said that he will not be doing any follow up scan as there is no need.  I feel less than happy with this and wondered whether anyone else on here had had a similar experience.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi carol, ive also read that many women who don't have symptoms can live with fibroids many not even knowing they exist. Everyone is entitled to a second opinion it's your right so ask

If it gives you peace of mind.

Good luck x

• Posted

Hi Carol.

I had several fibroids that were found when I went to have an ultrasound scan to check out a hernia.

The largest was about 20 cm and I hardly had any symptoms except my periods were getting heavier.I had 3 months of injections to shrink them to help with a TAH with BSO.The fibroid removed weighed about 6lb.I had my operation 14 months ago and I feel fine except that I still have my hernia and I am going to see my doctor tomorrow about referring me to a consultant for this to be repaired.The hysterectomy was not as bad as I thought it would be and I recovered quickly.

• Posted

Wow, so they went from "you need to have your uterus removed" to "oh, we're not going to even bother checking on you" in the space of a few months. Well, that de-escalated quickly! Geez, these "professionals" really grind my gears sometimes.

Seriously though, I would demand an ultrasound. It is true that your fibroids will probably just shrink away, but if there were ANY previous concerns I think you surely deserve to have peace of mind. If fibroids keep growing bigger after menopause it can be a bad sign, and something you would need to have dealt with asap.

I would simply insist on having another ultrasound. End of!

Good luck xox

• Posted

Hi, I am 58 and supposedly post menopausal although I have had fibroids growing throughout, so could never tell when I was having periods and when not. Consultants have told me that my bleeding now is due to the fibroids only. Have never had menopausal symptoms though except when on Esmya. I was initially told the fibroids would shrink at menopause but mine just seemed to delay it happening at all.

I would definitely ask for another scan, they should be monitoring you at least every few months. I also had an MRI and a biopsy to check for cancer, but all was OK, just the fibroids. If you are having no symptoms I would say no to a hysterectomy, there also other options, a myomectomy, UFE, medication, lots of info on this forum. Or they may indeed shrink themselves.

• Posted

Hi there, thanks so much for your replies.  2rosie - you echoed my sentiments EXACTLY. It's amazing how one minute a doctor says "I'l do a hysterectomy to take them out" and he next he says "you don't need to do anything - no follow up". It really does not instill any confidence in you!!  Anyway, I won't be hng a hysterectomy, at this stagebut i will go back (again) to my gp and say "I don't care what that consultant says, I want them checked".  I'm also going to say that i want to be referred to a different consultant and maybe even a different hospital as the one I'm under is quite clearly only interested in treating full blown cancer rather than preventing it.  Christine - your problems are exactly the reason why i think the fibroids should be monitored, ie i know that they don't ALWAYS shrink after the menopause as the doctors say.  I'm sorry to hear that you seem to be having so many problems with them.  Best wishes biggrin
  • Posted

I'm trying to get some feedback regarding my having a hysterectomy at 71 years old for several fibroids one as large as a grapefruit!

no doctors seemed to know why they would still be growing after menopause at my age and they were not cancerous.... I'm just searching for someone to shed some light on this unique condition!! thx, Jenny

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.