Post menopause arthritis

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello,

I am 51 (52 in April if I live that long, heh) and over two years post menopause.

I just found out I have significant arthritis in my right knee. I had x rays today on my right knee because the pain has been so bad that I can barely walk at times. I started on glucosamine with msm a couple weeks ago and it has helped but I am 51 and feel twice my age. I know it is in my left knee and the rest of my joints but not as bad as my right knee. My right knee makes crackling, crunching noises and it is hard to get around especially later in the evening. It is so depressing. The horrible pain started about 3 weeks ago.

I have a referral to a sports medicine Dr at Andrews Institute. But really what can be done? Surgery? Medicine? And on top of that I am having spurts of pounding heart coupled with anxiety. Just enough to make me feel like I am going insane or dying.

I know I have to lose about 40 lbs and my joints would probably feel better. But I am struggling with weight loss. I really feel hopeless. My husband is on a business trip for 10 days. I have no friends or family within 800 miles. I have my dog, my arthritis, my right lower eyelid twitch and my slowly decaying dumpy body. I can't even stand to look at myself in the mirror.

Sorry for being so negative. It is really hard to get out of the lows when I am there.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi keljo , thank god for our fur babies... They truly are the best ❤❤❤ I feel you with the knees , mine snap crackle and pop too when I'm laying down and do leg bends and crunches its like nails on a chalk board ha ha not good at all, I have rheumatoid arthritis so a lot of my joints hurt .... That anxiety and heart flutters I get that too and I get it when I know I'm alone something about being all alone and the anxiety ...I either just watch a movie or go surfn the net on my phone to keep me preoccupied.. Well just wanted to say hello and to let you know I feel same take care hope you feel better...

• Posted

Thank you. Yes, thank god for our fur babies. It is amazing the amount of love one can have for pet. Geez I need to do crunches. Yes, nails on a chalkboard!! I try to distract myself from my anxiety moments. Health anxiety eats at me too. Ugh. It's a never ending cycle with me.

• Posted

im so sorry that you're going through this! i am 44 and also have bad arthritis and pain in my right knee and both of my hands. It will get better soon so hang in there!

• Posted

Thank you, I have it in my hands too especially (weirdly) in my left ring finger. I had to have my husband cut my wedding ring off my finger because it wouldn't go over my knuckle and my finger and joint swelled.

It is really hell getting old. It isn't surprising that I have arthritis, it is just the pain is depressing and being alone things do seem so much worse.

I have had skyrocketing blood pressure and after my husband got home from work it went down shortly after. Surprising is because after nearly 27 years of marriage he drives me bonkers a lot. lol.

I do try to tell myself that this too shall pass. It is difficult to hear that voice when I wallow in self pity. lol.

I have an anti-inflammatory diet I am going to try.

• Posted

you might want to google bone broth. It has amazing benefits throughout menopause, for a great many things including arthritis. Make your own, that way you know you're not getting a watered down version.

You can also get its benefits by adding dry unflavored gelatin to a cup of tea or hot coffee.

And dump ALL sugar. Sugar causes major inflammation in the body. You will feel so much better after stopping using it and being careful about the things you buy that has sugar in it (which is almost everything)

Real food is best!

• Posted

I really went off the deep end with sugar at the holidays. Pumpkin pie, whipped topping, cookies. etc. I was very bad and I know it is bad for inflammation and overall health. My knee and ankle joints are aching severely right now. Sugar is addicting for me worse than caffeine. I gave up caffeine with no problem. Sugar in the form of chocolate is a weakness of mine. I need to give it up. I have given in up in the past, but I fell of the sugar wagon and I am paying for it. I will try the bone broth.

Thank you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.