Post Menopause at 45. TAH/BSO at 53 do I need HRT?

Posted , 5 users are following.

This may seem like a really stupid question.

Way back in 2007 my periods just stopped and never came back!!

Believe it or not I never had any significant menopausal symptoms, never ever. Honestly (ok hate me then!!!)

Then in Jan 2015 Post Menopausal Bleeding (PMB) arrived quickly followed by TAH/BSO in April 2015 to get rid of some pre cancer nasties.

On the road to recovery ( with a few afternoon naps on the way)

Never had to trouble GP with menopause.  Now the ovaries are in the bin, will I need any HRT or anything or were the ovaries doing nothing at all . I really don't want to now become a martyr to lack of hormones after my lucky escape.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi. 

I would think,not. 

I only started hrt as I had severe menopausal symptoms after my op. I had no symptoms before my operation. I am 49. 

It sounds like your ovaries stopped working long before your op

lee x

• Posted

I wouldn't like to say yes or no to the hrt question I would just see if you have any hot flushes or not or the other option is to have a word with your doctor I'm ten weeks post op tomorrow and started back to work today if had hot flushes before so I'm on hrt 
  • Posted

Thank you Poppy and Lyn

i will ask the doctor next week.

• Posted

Hi. I'd wait and see if you get symptoms now there is totally nothing but you may be one of lucky ones. Friend of mine exactly same had all taken out at 45 and didn't affect her at all. She's late 50s now and looks 40 so everyone is just different. If you're worried about side effects of not having them I'm sure Dr will help and could always low dose you smile
  • Posted

I'd doubt it very much as you've already gone through the menopause & ovaries were not functional at time of op.... Keep eye on things. Unless your body reacts to them being gone - otherwise you'll be grand
  • Posted

Hi Deb I am 51 periods stopped when I was 45 I have had TAH/BSO and omentectomy,  7 weeks ago for the same reason as you ,my gynaecologist has said I should be ok with HRT , but if the hot flushes return then to speak to GP 
  • Posted

Thank you Paula

it is a funny old thing this gynaecology because only when we end up with 'problems' we realise that we are not alone and others have very similar experiences. 

This forum is very helpful at keeping anxiety at bay especially in the whole post op madness.

• Posted

Hi Debs

Couldn't agree with you more, I did not realise how much and how many women suffered with 'gynaecology' problems, and at such young ages.  I am 65 and okay maybe expected something would go wrong eventually but why are so many young women having terrible problems.  At least this forum makes you realise you are not alone and there is always lots of help and support from everyone. 

Love

Jacqui lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.