Post menopause pat smear

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had a pat smear today and I am still reeling from the experience. The pain was excruciating and I am pretty tough but this was off the chart. I told the female doctor it was unbearable and she hardly reacted some comment about maybe me being dry. This is not acceptable that any woman post menopause or younger should be expected to endure this amount of pain. It is time the medical profession investigates painless method of pat smear. Women are being turned off the procedure because of this. Has anyone else experienced this. I am 59 years old and have given birth to two children so know pain but this was off the chart.

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Oh dear Jane, I am sure this medical professional did not understand the excrutiating pain of vaginal atrophy. I am sure you were nearly on the ceiling. I agree entirely and you are right, it is time that a more friendly test should be developed.

If you find that the dryness is unbearable you can get a topical oestrogen from your GP, or if you want to stay free form hormone creams try other intimate moisturisers such a Gyntima or Premeno. 

After the event I know, but dont be put off having further check ups will you.

All the best

S

• Posted

Oh no Jane! Get yourself a new doctor! I had a similar situation and my doctor immediately stopped. She prescribed me a cream and suggested I use it for about a month before seeing her again.

She said I had vagina atrophy and explained how it happens. Get a new doctor, one that is experienced with menopausal women.

• Posted

Yes! I changed doctors because of it, the new doctor was very gentle and it didn't hurt.

• Posted

even mamograms are painful yet these are recommended each year,

here in the East women dont go for these tests ...education is less and the doctors with clinics are not so developed

more woeful situation for those in between

• Posted

Oh Jane, so sorry to hear that. It s nds awful. I have been.normally OK with tolerating pain but since peri I am very very sensitive to any kind of pain. For the very reason I have been postponing my smear test. I gave an appointment tomorrow morning. Ouch. I better take some painkillers beforehand. I agree there has to be a less painful way of doing this and DRs/nurses should be kinder to us ladies.
  • Posted

Hi Jane, I also experienced dreadful pain with my last smear - maybe it's something to do with being called Jane!  (ha!) My female doctor was very sympathetic though and told me to request diazepam for next time. Mine wasn't to do with dryness - it's muscle tension and the fact that my cervix has gone into hiding. Jane x

• Posted

Jane,

I'm so sorry😣😣please find another Dr. Unacceptable

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.