Post menopause periods!

Posted , 16 users are following.

great forum & I've found some good insights! Thanks everyone. Let me put my situation out there to see if anyone can relate. I'm 55, per hormone blood work I'm in menopause. That being said, I went thru short period of menopausal symptoms, survived but then out of the blue had a period & then spotting here n there. The periods, which were regular heavy flow for 2 days followed by 5 or so days till finished, WERE regular periods. Appetite increased & bloated. SO, my Dr does endometrial biopsy (ouch!) which was OK, no cancer. I've had 2 ultrasounds to finally find that I had a 1 inch polyp which I'm having removed April 13. However, during all this testing & Appts, I had a period July 2014, Nov 2014, Feb 2015 and guess what? Started full blown period yesterday, Apr 3!! What's so confusing & frustrating to me is my Dr confirms for me that removing the polyp WILL stop my "periods" ?? Although, he say, you're really not having periods, just abnormal bleeding. I beg to differ as I know my body and it's having a PERIOD! What is going on? I'm seeing "oestrogen surges"? What r these? AND I've started getting itchy spots (red) under my chin and all over my neck, comes & goes. Is this hormonal? I dont think it's a food allergy. Ahhh what's happening? I don't agree with the dr as I know this is a period yet my blood work says I'm menopausal....so??? Anybody have any answers? Removal of the polyp is unquestionable and I can see it being cause of spotting, but is it REALLY the cause of an occasional 7 day period? Or is it hormonal? I really don't want to go on any hormonal therapy meds....desperately looking for feedback :o)

4 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hahaha! not laughing at your situation, just can relate as I used to have a doctor like yours..........We do get surges of hormones and do sporadically cycle. Now whether he is saying the polyps is what is causing your full blown periods is to be believed is beyond me. Never heard of full blown periods doing this, but hey who knows. Just sounds suspect to me.

I did the same thing last year (minus polyp-I have multiple fibroids though) stopped thought this was menopause for certain, one doc ran bloodwork to "confirm" hahaha I started cycles again for 7 consistent months and now I'm back in crazyville with no periods feeling like a loon......and praying this finally ends soon.

I did try combipatch -lasted 8 days (HRT) went on to sporadically using progesterone on as needed basis.....and for most part try to be consistent (Not my strong suit) with vitamins and supplements to help with this.

Don't cancel having polyp removed, it's better out. Will it stop your periods? Who knows? I believe the bleeding is more your hormones doing what they do at this time and that is go all over the map until they truly get to their new low level.

Best wishes in getting through this, Karen!

Annie xx

• Posted

Thanx for your input. I too agree, HAVE to get rid of the polyp, but if I told the dr once, I told him 10 times that I KNOW my body and Im experiencing full blown regular periods -- just not on a regular CYCLE--I swear I even feel my body ovulating! I wish I knew more about this whole hormone thing and can it really be just the hormone-menopause thing trying to finds its path to full menopause only to all b over one day (?) So frustrating! What IS this o-estrogen surge term I keep seeing on this forum? Anybody else experience the neck itch/rash? Ugh, the 50's have NOT been kind to this temple of a body smile
    • Posted

Karen,

The estrogen surge (this is the latest explanation I got by doctor) is with the wavering hormone levels sometimes the balance gets out of line so to speak. There was a term estrogen dominance-still used, but in most cases it's really a sharp decline in progesterone that can make thing worse all the way around. I take (my Naturopath changed up things and wants me to take progesterone cream 25 days out of the month) progesterone cream occasionally for a 2 week period. I am seeing an integrative MD at end of month as I'm not crazy about that idea. I have to see the Integrative MD for the thyroid anyway, so I'm asking about this latest change as I hear horror stories about taking the cream or even taking the progesterone pills in general. What a crap shoot this all is, really!

And you point out what many of us have or are dealiing with. Clueless doctors...........Lord help me.....over the past few years I've seen several, as I thought I was just nuts at first, come to find out haha-it's Peri, but every doc has a different approach, if they even understand it (most just say "here's some ADs now be on your way" haha! so it's been quite a ride.

Coming on here has been incredibly helpful for me, but again, we are all different and what may work for you, won't work for me. Plus, this all makes me feel old, before my time and that makes me SAD! 

Yes, the 50's have been interesting-just when I thought it'd be cool to relax a bit! lol

Don't know about your rash, but I do get hives in the am on my neck......no one has an answer about that one. Sorry.

Happy Easter my dear!

Annie Xxxx

Annie Xxx

• Posted

so you went more than a year of NO bleeding -  not once - and then started to bleed again??? 
    • Posted

No, actually I recall going a few months with no period, started experiencing hot flashes, night sweats (but they were mild n only lasted a couple months off n on) --- definitely menopause. But I have NEVER to this day (been about 3 yrs now) gone a FULL YEAR -12 mths with having no period! What's frustrating is that neither my general physician or gynecologist will acknowledge or can EXPLAIN why or how my blood work #'s confirm I'm in menopause YET I still experience random 7 day periods (and occasional spotting). I have clearly told them that I have NOT gone 12 mths with no period---please explain...and they can't. sad
    • Posted

Oh my bloodwork came back in menopause range over a year ago and I am clearly still peri. My current doctor won't even run the tests as he says (and I'm proof) they are not reliable. I know the standard is one year w/o a period is really the defining method. So by all accounts Karen, it appears you and I are in the same rocky boat! rolleyes

Annie Xxxx

• Posted

until you are 12 months blood/spot free you aren't in menopause, but  you are clearly in perimenopause.   blood work CANNOT (your doc's should know this!) tell you that you are in menopause anyway as your hormones constantly fluctuate.  the only true test is not bleeding for over 1 year.  what's REALLY frustrating is you can be in PERI menopause for years with all these symptoms (sounds like you) and all your doctors can do is scratch their heads at what to do for you.  at 52 i am just starting to have the emotions, anxiety, palpitations and hot flashes.  i still have periods regularly with severe cramping, AND all the other things on top of it.   i just saw my gyne last week and he said he wouldn't talk to me about HRT until i had gone 1 year and 1 day with no blood - not one spot.  i do have fibroids which is probably why i have all the pain and he said my only choice was to have a hysterectomy because i've tried the pill (worked for years for severe bleeding and pain, then didn't), mirena iud (didn't work and i tried it for 9 months), endometrial ablation (didn't work!).    IT SOUNDS like you are starting the ending of your periods - that's good.  but who knows how long it will be before you completely stop; sorry.  only THEN are you in menopause and if you continue to have problems - hotflashes, nightsweats, breakthrough bleeding (if you are not the lucky few who have no more problems) then docs will start you on HRT.  i have read on here that some doctors have started women on HRT before bleeding stops completely, but talk to a gyne about these hormones.  i think the docs who prescribe them are GP's and i wouldn't trust them with my uterus.   **i've recently changed my diet - no more refined sugars, no caffeine, more veggies, lentils, lowfat dairy for calcium (and supplements) lemon and ginger tea and evening primrose among other supplements like complex b vitamins (must be with methylcobalamin).   i also take low dose valium for REALLY bad anxiety; i haven't had to take any in days.  one day at a time, my dear.  smile

• Posted

I'm surprised your gynaecologist is so categorical, there must be cases, I'm one, where you go from last period to first menopausal bleed within a year.  Most Gynaes say any bleed six months on from last period should be investigated.  That said, it does sound like in Karen's case she is just experiencing unpredictable periods.
    • Posted

Thank you Annie. It's good to hear I'm not alone! I'll have the polyp removed...but in a way, I wonder what to do when my next period comes? By that I mean do I contact my gyn whose performing the surgery and who insists this removal will stop my bleeding? Or do I just go with Mother Nature and my gut feeling of being in peri stage and check in at my next 2 yr exam. Thoughts anyone? Open to suggestions.....
    • Posted

I'll have to do more research on HRT's as I really don't want to b taking any meds. Esp when they deal with hormones. Yikes! If my uterus checks out clean from this point on, why should I have to take HRT's to try n regulate or Induce menopause? 
    • Posted

I totally agree. Just in peri stage with unpredictable periods yet. Good to hear that people out there r saying how unreliable (even Drs admit) the blood hormone tests r. Amazing... Goes to show these Drs r just human, receive the same schooling (?) but in the end, still have their own opinions and its all who you have as a dr.  That's why these forums r great as well as the Internet smile open communication -- I love it....to b continued!
    • Posted

it happened to my friend too.  she bled after going more than one year (at which point she was in menopause) after NOT bleeding, and that was abnormal.   that wasn't what i'm speaking of.  irregular bleeding during perimenopause is normal, although frustrating.  my gyne says no one is in menopause until they haven't bled for one complete year.  after that, any bleeding is abnormal and should be investigated.  sorry if i gave a different impression. 
    • Posted

i worked in an ob/gyn office as a medical assistant and women who had bleeding issues after menopause (one year post periods) were put on HRT to relieve issues associated with MENOPAUSE (not PERImenopause) symptoms, such as continued hot flashes/night sweats, breakthrough or continuous bleeding, vaginal dryness.  some women continue to have issues after they've surpassed menopause.  HRT doesn't induce menopause, the reduced hormones in your body stop you from bleeding, meaning you are no longer producing eggs.  that is why they don't call you officially menopausal until you have stopped bleeding for one year. 
    • Posted

I've not managed to make a year yet, but I'm told that from other factors, age, ovary size, hormone levels I am post menopausal.  Many of my bleeds most women wouldn't even see but I am looking closely all the time trying to get past the magical 12 month mark.  I just don't believe that it is so black and white and that many women could have their last period, yet not know it was the last because before the magical 12 month had passed they had a small bleed or some spotting that was actually due to being post menopausal.  How can we tell the difference between a  peri menopausal spot of blood and a post menopausal spot of blood?  
    • Posted

Karen,

Don't you go for a post procedure follow up with your doctor? Not sure what this 2 yr exam is, but I wouldn't wait that long. If you do happen to continue having periods after this procedure (and you may) by all means, call him/her up and let them know. That is important information for them to know about you.

Hoping for better days for you!

• Posted

my doctors have ALWAYS told me (since i've been getting close for years...years) and i research EVERYTHING (i'm a bit of a hyperchondriach) that if you don't bleed for one year - black and white, cut and dry - THEN you are in menopause.  the reason you bleed, and don't bleed, spot, and don't bleed is because you are getting sooooo close to completely stopping; you are in perimenopause.  once you completely stop THEN you are in menopause.  if after that you bleed, then you have other issues (abnormal) going on.  that's how they gage you against other women and what they should do for your bleeding situation.  the question they ask:  are you bleeding irregularly during PERImenopause, or are you bleeding ABNORMALLY POST menopause?    perimenopause can be irregular periods for a couple of years; regular period, then nothing for 3 months, then spotting for 2 days, then nothing for 1 week, then bleeding for 2 weeks = IRREGULAR.   menopause = NO BLOOD, not one spot for one complete year; not. one. spot.  if AFTER THAT you bleed then you have POST MENOPAUSAL BLEEDING and you have to see your doctor and be checked out.    that's just how it works. 
    • Posted

your hormones fluctuate CONSTANTLY and so there is no way to tell any women that she is in menopause or post menopausal.  they can tell you that you are perimenopausal - all that means is that your hormones are.... fluctuating.  that is why they gage your stages by your bleeding.  you know if you haven't gone passed the one year point for no blood (menopause) that you are still possibly ovulating (more probably not) and could get pregnant?  it's unlikely, but you should never say never. 
    • Posted

I understand that, what I am saying is there must be occasions when women go straight from their last period to an bleed caused by an abnormality, all within a year.  If you say any bleed, no matter how odd, is a period if it follows on within 12 months from a known period there is a real risk of missing cancers etc.  On top of that I think a lot of women might miss the odd spot of blood, under that rule they will count themselves as post menopausal when in fact they have bled within the 12 months.  Our bodies dont behave in text books ways.
    • Posted

i guess i am not understanding what you mean by "last period".  if in menopause, your "last period" was over a year ago...   have you discussed the parameters with YOUR gyne about what they call menopausal, perimenopausal, and postmenopausal?  all i can tell is what i have to work with from 2 doctors who handle my period/uterus issues, what i learned while working in the ob/gyn office, and what i've researched on my own.  our bodies don't work in "textbook ways", but the gyne community has set up parameters to meet requirements for stages of menopause.  i'm sure you and your doctor have worked this out; a plan for how to proceed from one step to the next. 

• Posted

The thing is your last period can only be ascertained with hindsight, you might have a last period, but never know because 6 months later you have a bleed caused by something other than hormones, by your reckoning that would be counted as a period, when in fact it was an abnormal bleed, and you would think you were still in perimenopuase, when I fact you were post menopause.  Most OBGYNs say any bleed after 6 months with no bleeding needs to be investigated, and not just put down to a late period.
    • Posted

if you write down everytime you bleed, there is no "hindsight" to worry about.  i was told 3 years ago to start recording every period, so that i would know: when my periods started to become irregular; and  EXACTLY when my very last blood was.   by writing down start and stop, i and my doctors know exactly what stage i'm in.   either peri or meno.  

i know that i don't communicate very well, but i'm obviously not explaining this very well to you.  or, i've explained the stages well enough, but you are speaking of something else and i've not gotten it.   i've explained perimenopause:  stage of hormone fluctuations and irregular periods before menopause; and menopause:  complete cessation of bleeding, no blood for one year and and one day;  and abnormal POST menopausal bleeding:  any bleeding after the one year anniversary of no bleeding.   i can't make what i'm trying to say any plainer.  

i think the burden of "last period" is on the person who is complaining of the bleeding.  the question asked is:  were you completely blood-free for more than one year when you started to bleed again?  if not, you are perimenopausal and bleeding irregularly.  if you WERE blood-free (for one year = menopause) and are now bleeding, spotting, etc, then you are bleeding POSTmenopausal and DO INDEED have issues and should see your gyne.  

can we please call this a wrap??   

• Posted

Yes, I think that a good idea as your replies are really stressing me out.  I completely understand what you are saying but you are not getting what I am saying.  Essentially my point is it is wrong and dangerous to classify every bleed that occurs within 12 months of a previous bleed a period.  It may not be, unbeknown to you your last period may have taken place, and this bleed is an abnormal bleed.  I, too, have dutifully recorded every bleed for the past 15 years since things started to go awry, my OBGYN is very well respected and she says I am experiencing post menopausal bleeding, she knows this from all her investigations, I don't need someone telling me I am still peri menopausal just because my bleeding is persistent, it's just not helpful.  I hope your OBGYN is a bit less pedantic with other women, else he may miss a cancer one day with his hard and fast 12 month not a spot of blood rule.  Sorry if this sounds rude but like I said you are distressing me.
    • Posted

i'm sorry your stress/anxiety is heightened by my words.  i never told you you were perimenopausal; how could i?  number 1, i'm not a doctor.  i am a woman who has prior training, experiencing perimenopause and therefore researching perimenopause and menopause.  only you and your doctor can tell you what stage you are in.  i was merely trying to educate someone and you offered up your own comments to which i asked for further clarification - that never came to fruition, which i why i asked to bow out.   p.s. cancers are found with paps and yearly exams.  a lot of what you say "distressed" me enough to want to give proper information.  forgive me for my aspergery mentality.   good luck with whatever stage you are in.  smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.