Post MVD problems

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone. I had my MVD operation in February. It went well and has left me free

of the trigeminal pain. However I now get a different sort of pain which seems

odd but I wondered if anyone else had experienced it and to find out if it goes away

eventually?

In the morning when I wake up I have a really tight pain above my ear. It's above

the scar. It doesn't matter which side I sleep on. It's even there if I have slept on

my back. It's really uncomfortable and makes me wary of moving my head too

quickly. It wears off when I am up and moving but it often comes back during

the day, especially if I've been wearing my glasses to read.

Since the operation I've also developed a hissing noise in my ears that

I didn't have before. I've got used to it now but wondered if this is common and

again does it go away in time?

Please don't be put off having the operation. After 5 years of living hell it has

given me back my life. If it ever comes back and I was offered a MVD I

wouldn't hesitate having it again. What I am experiencing now is nothing like

the pain I was in before it.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi wavedancer, I had the surgery one month ago. Trigeminal pain is gone, thank God. I am still experiencing impaired vision and headaches, but assuming these will go away in time. So at this point, I'm very interested in hearing about everyone else's post op experiences. I wonder if any of your  current "issues" could have anything to do with scar tissue. As with any surgical procedure, scar tissue can cause other problems. All depends on the individual. Or so I've heard.

• Posted

I'm glad you had a positive outcome. I did have headaches and I found things didn't settle down until 3 months post operation. Tiredness was my main problem though. I suppose it could be something to do with scar tissue but it's almost 2 inches above the scar itself. It just seems a little odd.

• Posted

Hi, I had MVD surgery on 1/23 6 months ago today! Like you the TN pain is gone which is amazing but the head pain post op is still giving me difficulties. I tried acupuncture which gave me some relief. About 2 weeks ago I spoke with my neurosurgeon and he recommended Physical Therapy which has been amazing. What he is doing is working with the muscle that was cut because it is now tight and it is the cause of the tightness and tenderness that I feel. He explained that the muscle in the head that was cut has nerves running thru it and when it gets injured the muscle tightens and the nerves cause the pain and tenderness that I feel. It is already slowly improving. I never thought that PT would be so helpful!!! It isn't really painful it's just tight and tender to touch especially with certain movements and like you is worse in the morning and later in the day. I also would have the MVD surgery again if the TN comes back this is nothing compared to 6 years of TN pain, pulled teeth etc. Good luck! Mary

• Posted

I had two chiropractic adjustments which helped a lot, then had a theraputic massage which helped even more. So the headaches have lessened almost to a point where I only take a couple Tylenol maybe twice a day. Very grateful! Now to work on this vision issue. Going to try eye exercises. Have heard it's effective but takes patience and perseverance. The surgeon who did my surgery said if there's no improvement after another month or so, he'll send me to a vision therapist. So we'll see.....no pun intended, hahaha. 

• Posted

That makes a lot of sense Mary. I'd not thought about that side of things. I'm so thankful that the TN pain has gone but hadn't seen anyone mention the tightness before. Looks like I need to see my GP and tell him what's happening and hopefully be sent to have some physio to try and loosen things up a bit. T

Like you I wouldn't think twice about surgery if the TN came back. Take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.