Post Myomectomy: The Never-Ending Menstrual Cycle

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had an open myomectomy on December 11, 2018, to have at least 23 fibroids removed. I bled/spotted a teeny bit for a few days after the procedure. Then a month passed. I got my period. Four days. Light to moderate bleeding. No biggie. SO much better than what I used to experience!

Fast-forward to two weeks later (approximately six weeks after my surgery). I got my period again and this time, HOLY CRAP--it was awful. Horrible gushing and clots--even worse than how my cycle used to be prior to the operation. I leaked through my pad several times.

Went to the doctor and started on birth control again. The birth control at least calmed the flow down from Niagra Falls level. Except I haven't stopped bleeding.

I've now been bleeding for three weeks straight. I had a glimmer of hope yesterday that it might FINALLY stop, since I was just spotting. Then, BOOM. I was up at 1:30 in the morning because I'd leaked through my pad onto my bedding.

Aside from this being super frustrating, I'm terrified of becoming anemic again. (I needed four iron infusions prior to the surgery and a blood transfusion after the surgery.) I'm taking iron, but am worried nonetheless. Plus, my skin is irritated as hell from having to constantly wear pads (I can't do tampons).

My OBGYN says it's not unusual that this is happening, since my surgery was so major. I was told that this could continue for two to three months before my uterine lining becomes thinner and my cycle calms down and evens out and that for at least two months, I need to skip the placebo week of the birth control pill and to go directly to the next pack. I was also told that unless I'm soaking through more than one pad per hour (which I'm not), then the situation isn't urgent. I was advised to keep taking the iron supplement and if I start to feel anemic, to go to the ER or follow up with the hematologist I'd gone to for my iron infusions.

I'm so frustrated and I wish somebody had told me beforehand to potentially expect this. Moreover, when I was panicking (before I got a chance to talk to my doctor) and began looking things up online, not ONE medical website or forum listed this as an after-effect of a myomectomy. On the contrary, said websites stated that periods should get better and lighter after such a procedure.

Has anyone else experienced this?

0 likes, 3 replies

Report / Delete

3 Replies

• Posted

i had a very similar experience- myomectomy in july removed 19 fibroids. i had severe bleeding most days & like you googled everything on internet & found nothing that said this could happen. i was taking pill continuously without break. went to GYN twice & said could take time for body to adjust to pill. At 11 weeks after surgery & a weekend of horrendous bleeding & clots i went back to Gyn this time he agreed it wasnt normal. i had scans that showed i still had fibroids (i thought they had all been removed) i still havent got a clear answer as to if they grew in that time??? the scan gave suboptimal view, endometruim couldnt be seen clearly due to fibroids. i was booked in for a hystroscopy & potential myosure. it turned out i had a large fibroid inside the cavity that did not show on internal scan. since it has been removed things have been so much better, i have still had some irregular bleeding even whilst taking pill without break. i am seeing my gyn tomorrow for review appoint. my advice would be to seek an internal scan & possibly there are still fibroids. i had zoladex to shrink fibroids prior to surgery i did read that doing that can mean that small fibroids are nit visible during surgery & are missed another theory was that the surgery stired things up & fibroids seeds grew. Hang in there i was at my wits end with worry that the myomectomy was not a success & would have to have a hysterectomy after all but thankfully the problem was solved. Hopefully you can find out what is going on

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Oh my goodness! Yikes! I'm so sorry you had to go through that! I sincerely hope my surgeon didn't miss any fibroids, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see. Bleeding has FINALLY let up and is down to spotting for now in my case.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

hi. did your periods ever get better? I had a hysterscopic myectomy to remove a couple fibroids, then like you, still had heavy periods and bad cramps. A few months later, I ended up needing another myomectomy which was just done a month ago, but I've been bleeding or spotting everyday since then. I go in for a follow up soon, hopefully I'll get back to normal soon or atleast get better answers.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up