Post nasal drip/ Rhinitis

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all, I have chronic post nasal drip that affects my eating habits, sleeping habits, and sports. I've been taking singulair+cetirizine+fluticasone furoate for more than a month. Was wondering what kind of treatment worked for other people suffering from the same problems. I'm currently looking into Azelastine which seems promising and Atrovent has actually been suggested but it's not usually used to treat this. I welcome all suggestions. Thank you! 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I've found no antihistamines worked, but have found a solution to my chronic morning rhinitis. I take Nasacort (US, different name in UK I think....but available on prescription) . 2 puffs in each nostril before bed. Apparently it works on the adrenal gland......certainly works for me after months of trying different things. 
    • Posted

Nasocort is a corticosteroid. As a nasal spray it only affects your nose not your adrenal glands. It's supposed to reduce inflammation of the mucosa and therefore reduce excess secretions. I have tried two other glucocorticosteroids: Nasonex and Avymys to no avail. 
    • Posted

Oh and I forgot to ask, did you try antihistamine through the mouth or as a nasal spray? There's a large study that showed 78% of patients for whom oral antihistamines did not work responded well to a topical spray instead (no conclusive reason was given) I'm gonna ask my GP to prescribe it on Tuesday. You might also benefit from it. In Europe, some patients are treated with capsaicin (chemical in peppers that makes it hot) nasal sprays, something about its effect on the nerve receptors makes it effective. I ordered some online, I'll update after I try it.
  • Posted

Well I tried every available nasal spray, all the steroid ones and antihistamine ones, and also about 6 different antihistamines orally! For some reason this is the only one that has worked, and really well. When I asked my GP about it(as I came back from the US with it...) she had never heard of it, but looked it up and then discovered it for the first times! Here's a link I found to it....and thanks for your responses. Hope it works for you.......

https://patient.info/medicine/triamcinolone-nasal-spray-nasacort

Emis Moderator comment: I have replaced the provided link with one to the leaflet on our website.

• Posted

Thanks for your replies as well Patricia, I really appreciate it. Did you need a prescription or it or could you pick it up OTC in the states? I live in Canada an I haven't heard of it here. I've tried two steroid nasal sprays with no improvement and I'll ask my GP for some other ones to try. It's really weird how some sprays work for some people and some don't when they are in the same class. What kind of symptoms do you have if you don't mind me asking. I'm just post nasal drip and tried drixoral yesterday and it worked quite well. I'd say 50% improvement. Probably having to do with the effect it has on the nerves.  How well has nasocorticosteroid worked for you (percent wise if you don't mind)?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.