Post nasal drip...trouble swallowing, anyone suffering the same

Posted , 22 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I’m here desperately searching for some experiences and help...

27, female, I’ve been having an on-and-off chronic rhinitis for a couple of years till now(my family doctor saying it’s caused by allergy but I personally never noticed that I’m allergic to something). I don’t seem to have symptoms such as running nose, itchy eyes, sneezing, coughing...etc, but seems that I have the post nasal drip sensation most of the time, it’s like a lump or a mucus around my throat that I can neither swallow down nor cough out, sometimes good sometimes bad. These are my background.

Since 4 days ago, right before my period started(don’t know if they are relevent tho) all of a sudden the symptom became very severe. The “mucus thing” seems to be stuck at a very uncomfortable location(right in between of my nasal cavity and my throat) it’s like too much discomfort and you can hardly ignore it...I swallow all the time but it never really go down and even if it does it comes back right after...and my mouth and throat became extremely dry with no saliva at all. This is ruining my life and I haven’t had a proper meal for 4 days...because everytime I tried to swallow I feel the food stuck in between my back throat and my nasal cavity, along with the mucus, and it doesn’t go down smoothly, I even have a feeling that food partially went up to my nose instead of going down. I know this can’t happen and it’s against your body design, but whenever I had this feeling I couldn’t swallow anymore food even like congee. I feel I could choke or something if something stuck in there. I went to my family doc today and he just thinks it’s caused by allergy and he sees irritation in my back throat. He gave me antibiotics and saline nasal spray. I told him I have some trouble swallowing and he ended up giving me Sandoz Ondansetron ODT which is for controlling the nausea and vomiting feeling, but I don’t have those symptoms so really don’t know if that’s gonna do anything......I will go see an ENT for further test maybe using a endoscope to see what’s going on.

By the way, I used Apo-mometasone and Fluticasone furoate nasal sprays in the past month and stopped using them 2 days ago.

It is seriously ruining my life...I loved eating and now I feel so nervous and stressful with eating. I’m hungry but just can’t eat for 3 days. I used to love all those outdoor activities but now I’m just totally in the dark and rather go sleeping because only when I’m asleep I don’t feel anything...what’s going on? Can post nasal drip cause those feelings at all?  Please if anyone ever suffering from similar problem like I do...share it with me if you have any way to get better.

Thank you so much for reading.

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hello, i just seen this. i am having the same problems! I've never had allergies or anything. but a few months ago my voice started getting raspy then i feel a constant thick mucus in my throat! i have to swallow constantly and try and clear my throat but nothing helps! now i feel a lump in my throat and i can't swallow good. even water seems not to go down good. I'm also burping allot i guess swallowing allot of air. I do have a DR appointment tomorrow so i hope they can tell me something. it's so annoying and making my anxiety go crazy thinking my throat is going to swell shut. or i have something wrong with my lungs. i just can't stop thinking about it. have u found anything out? by the way I'm a 35yo female.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.