Post Op 15 weeks Pain?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I am not post op 15 weeks from an ankle ORIF for a trimol fracture with high tibial fracture. I am now walking with a cane, but the pain is near constant. I have had several xray and the fratures are healing but it is slow. I had about 3 inches of my tibia that was a commuted fracture. Can people let me know about how long it was until their pain stopped and they could walk normal again? I am just wondering how long of a road I am on. My surgeon keeps telling me it is early in the healing, but 15 weeks seems a long time for constant pain.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear that you are still in. pain. Of course there is pain and there is pain! how severe is it or is it mire of a discomfort?

I had my five year old TAR completely revised by a different surgeon in late February this year and since about June I have been able to walk several miles a day with hardly any discomfort. generally it has been almost pain free from the start whereas the original TAR took at least two years before it was. quite comfortable.

I suggest that until you are able to walk strongly and with a good well balanced gait that you use two crutches which apart from. anything else will train your body to walk correctly again and help your back.

BTW are others having problems writing sin e the upgrade. Imcinding it almost impossible. Cheers Richard

• Posted

Sorry about the typos but it took me so long to get this typed and the app was so flaky that it would not allow me to correct and had to just send as is. Cheers Richard

• Posted

The pain stays at a 5 on the pain scale but as i get up and move it quickly becomes a 8 and causes me a horrible limp and eventually causes me to sit because the pain gets so bad. I was diagnosed with regional pain complex syndrome two weeks ago caused by the surgery.

• Posted

good to see that your making progress. recover time from orif surgery is a long process. 15 weeks is really just the start. continue your strength excercises and heal to toe steps . the pain and swelling will eventually get better but you must continue doing your physical therapy. i had orif surgery july 21st 2017 with dislocation , 7 screws and two plates. i am running at least 4 days a week and lifting weights. everyone's recover is different cause of age and other reasons but just stay positive and everyday do some type of excercise to strength the ankle....GOD BLESS

• Posted

I had ORIF surgery the end of January and I was in pain right up until I had ankle reconstruction surgery 11 days ago.My current surgeon has told me that it will be 6-9 months before I will know the final outcome of my most recent surgery.

Everyone heals differently and at a different pace. Was my pain 6 months out as bad as it was right after surgery? No, but it was still there. Give it some time and try to find some patience (trust me I know its not easy) but also keep in the back of your mind that you may never be totally pain free again. My first physical therapist told me right from the get go that the ankle is the worst joint in the body to do any kind of damage and they tend to be hard to rehab.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.