post op 2 weeks having deep leg pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had my operation 2 weeks ago my foot isdoing really well but the last 4 days i have deep pain in my leg and upper thigh which wakes me up at nights. I made a research and it might be due to thrombose. Is there anyone experiencing this? Is there a solution?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Have you been exercising or are you resting most of the time?

I was given injections for 5 days after to prevent blood clots as I'm prone to them but I'm now at 2 and half weeks and my surgeon said its vital to start being more mobile to stop the risk of blood clots.

Usually with blood clots you'll have swelling and your leg will be hot. But sometimes they have only a few or no symptoms. I'd advise you go to either the doctors or the hospital as it's better to be safe than sorry and also you're probably higher risk of getting one.

Please get checked!

• Posted

Hi Aslican, if you think you have DVT you need to at least phone NHS24, if you're in the UK, they will either put your mind set rest or advise you to go to hospital to get treatment. Hopefully everything is ok but best not to leave it to chance, good luck

• Posted

Hi. DVTs are a complication associated with surgery of the hips, legs and feet. This is probably made worse because you are immobile. It is vital that you do exercises as much as possible. This would include stretching your leg and circulating ankles etc, rather like the exercises that you might do on a plane.

having pain in your calf and your thigh might be symptoms of a DVT. Your leg might not necessarily be hot or swollen. It is vital that you are checked out and there are great new medications that can be given to sort this out. 

I had bilateral surgery for bunions and one hammer toe correction. As the first week was coming towards the end I started to notice a pain in my left calf. When I went for my first check up after 6 days I almost didn't mention it but I am so pleased that I did! I had a scan straight away which confirmed that I had a DVT in my calf. I was immediately put on medication. I am so pleased that I mentioned the pain. I had no swelling and the leg was not hot. 

Go and get this checked out! It may be nothing but you can not ignore it! 

• Posted

Hi, i am a pharmacist. In this case it is very important to contact your surgeon or the hospital immediatly, because trombose is possible and you can not do anything yourself. Normally it happens more often after knee or hipsurgery, but maybee you were not weightbearing for some time. 
  • Posted

Hi, i am a pharmacist. In this case it is very important to contact your surgeon or the hospital immediatly, because trombose is possible and you can not do anything yourself. Normally it happens more often after knee or hipsurgery, but maybee you were not weightbearing for some time. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.