post op 3 months after 3 broken bones still in pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

I broke my ankle 1st feb , it was dislocated , 3 broken bones , had operation with 2 pins and plate 20 stitches which were taken out about 6 weeks ago, plaster was off 3rd April, but now have boot can only weight bear 30 - 50% going back 15th May, but its still swollen and feels hard by my toes, getting terrible pain like stabbing and electric shocks is this right

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Yes the stabs and to me what felt like burning are very normal. Nerves firing up, and it does go away. I was probably at about 5 or 6 months from surgery when that stopped. I’m at a year now, and it’s definitely gone. It’s no fun, but it does go away. As for swelling, that is a longer journey, I still swell so your swelling is very much expected.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply , I am wandering if its because im older as well that it will take longer im 69

• Posted

Hi again, yes age is huge factor. I was 47 when I fell last April, and my healing was much slower than some others who posted on this site. I actually wore my cast 3 long months because healing was so slow. Try not to get too sad, I promise it’s temporary and the pains you feel are normal. I can do everything I did prior to falling, but I will probably never wear 4 inch heels again! In a few short months you are going to be amazed by your progress, just keep trying and don’t give up with your boot, it gets easier and easier.

• Posted

kim, what did you injure and what was the surgery for? i am looking at peroneal tendon surgery and scared witless! i am also 47 and have some joint issues.

• Posted

I broke my fibula, was dislocated, tendons messed up. Orif surgery, 9 screws and a plate. I wasn’t so scared of the surgery I think because I’ve had so many different surgeries in my life lol. The hardest thing I found was my mindset, I couldn’t do things, just lay there elevated, and that drove me bananas. In hindsight though, it does go pretty quickly, and here I am a year later moving around. You will be ok, just keep reminding yourself it’s temporary, because it really is. 😃

• Posted

Hi

its perfectly normal i had all that type of pain

when i came out of my boot it lasted for a good month or so . Im now 5 months on from my OP and still not walking normally , the pain has changed to more of a throbbing but can do alot more like driving and completely able to weight bear , walking is slow and end of the day its swells up so i have to ice it . I have been told this type of injury and surgery can take up to a year to fully recover . Hope this helps your not alone in your frustration . wishing you well

• Posted

Debbie thank you for replying, it seems to take ages to heal, I was thinking that as im older it will take longer to heal,im 69

• Posted

Hi Joan. Once I got my boot my ankle and foot (toes included) we swollen which made them feel hard. The prickly and sometimes painful sensations I was told was normal because after surgery all those nerves in your feet and leg are trying to heal.

I would ask your doctor to make sure though since everyone is different. It's scary but will take time 😃 One thing I did notice is if I sat with my boot on the floor that's when I would feel it the worst so I would alternate elevating it on a couple pillows and on the floor while sitting upright. Hope that helps and feel free to contact me if ya need to talk 😃

• Posted

Hi Susan

Thank you for replying , it helps what you are saying, but am thinking its my age that might make it longer to heal, I feel so depressed that i cant walk especially after 3 months, feel im never going to get better , and find it hard to go out using my crutches, still using wheel chair as well

• Posted

Oh yes you will be swollen at times and the electric shock feeling is the nerves affected by your surgery. It takes time to heal and everyone is different depending on their injury. I had a total ankle replacement feb.27 and am 1 week back to work. I get numbness in my toes and the nerve pain is getting better but is still an issue. Ice your foot when you are hurting because swelling causes pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.