Post Op

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi guys

I had surgery on Saturday for prolapsed disc L5/S1 and trapped nerve,

got to say so far so good, had disc removed as surgeon said it was beyond saving.

I haven't had a painkiller since surgery, fingers crossed everything is on the up :-)

Debbie

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

That is such great news Debbie. Do take it easy ok xx
    • Posted

Thanks Laura,

I'm not doing a thing, poor mum is coming round everyday to make sure Im doing as I'm told lol, I'm 43 and she still tells me off lol x

• Posted

Hi Debbie,

Lovely to hear good result stories.

I am having surgery in next 6 weeks, as my bulging disc is pressing on spinal cord and lots of legs nerve sensations- did you have this?

Keep me posted on your progress- great news!

• Posted

Hi

The nerve was crushed by the disc which resulted in numbness and pins and needles and pain in left leg, since surgery this has gone, just a pulling feeling now in back of leg but it doesn't hurt.

I hope your surgery goes well, I'm so pleased I had mine done, let us know how you get on, there is light at the end of the tunnel :-)

• Posted

Good News,

What was put in its place for the old disc , I really dont understand the types of opeartions you can have.

David

• Posted

Hi David

To be honest I don't exactly know, Im sure I read the scar tissue works as a buffer.

The feeling of not being in pain (slight pulling in back of leg which apparently is normal for a while) is amazing and can honestly say I didn't think I'd feel this normal ever again.

I know surgery isn't the answer for everyone but I'm hoping this is it for me x

• Posted

Sounds like a microdisectomy where they just take the piece of the disc that is pressing on the nerve. 

Glad you have finally had it doen as you have been waiting a while.

Mum is right take it very easy. No bending lifting or twisting for a good few weeks and 6 weeks off!

• Posted

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for the support I have numbness in my right foot and burning sensation in both thighs- but strangely no back pain,apart from stiffness. I guess it just depends on which nerves are compressed.Did you have any "steel work" inserted?

I certainly will keep you posted.

Do you mind me asking which hospital you had your surgery?

• Posted

No worries, support is always good.

There are lots of different nerves around that area and I suppose everyone has slightly different symptoms.

No didn't have any steel work apart from the staples 😜

I had it done on NHS but at a Private Hospital, The Spire in Hull. 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.