Post Op 6 months

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am post op 6 months, my knee aches everyday, i wake up to knee cramps every morning, so stiff, i have to bike 1-2 miles everyday to loose up muscles, I walk ackward yet ( feel like walking dead) by end of day, my knee is heavy and aches. 

When will I ever get better? what am I not doing?!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

So sorry to read this.

I've just hit 4 months into recovery, I have to elevate my knee and ice as soon as I get up and come down stairs, that's after I've got out of bed walking like a crab.

Perhaps you might be better doing your exercises first, then ice for 15 to 30 minutes.

Then cycle a little later in the day. I also go 2/3 times a week to the swimming pool and walk up and down the pool stopping at the end to hold onto the side, raising both legs up and straight out behind you, and then bringing my knees in and out. (only do total of 30)

Before getting into bed at night I rub Voltorol back and front of bad leg/knee, but not over the scar.

I also pull my leg/knee up towards me 10 times whilst in bed.

I also put my hands behind my knee holding my knee up and swing it gently 10 times. Do this whenever you can.

I really hope this helps.

• Posted

Everyone heals at a different rate. I thought I would never get better. It took me a good 6 months before I felt like I finally broke through.  I am post TKR 2/17 but still have discomfort when I do too much or the weather changed. Best of luck. Forward!
  • Posted

I'm only 3 months but when I wake up in the morning leg is really stiff. Lately I've had lots of leg stretch feelings and wonder if it's OK to stretch out operated leg. A bit worried in case I damage knee. Also does anyone else feel their leg is on edge as the evening draws in. I can't seem to find a comfortable position until I go to bed. Is this normal I had a tkr on 23 March 2018

• Posted

Same here, I’m a side sleeper and i’m still sleeping on my back, too painful to sleep on either L or R side sad 
    • Posted

Hi Lorraine.

I'm a side sleeper as well and have found that putting a small, soft pillow between my legs helped me to sleep on my side.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

i tried everything, i even ordered those speciality pillows, i stillcant sleep on either side. I’ll just keep trying 

thank you for the tip though 

• Posted

I’m also six months and yes a bit stiff in morning but haven’t iced it for months , hardly swollen , went to water aroebics at about 9 wks and that was okay had no problem , yes it can ache but that’s normal , can’t say it often feels heavy , or had cramps but I do rub in magnesium oil when I think of it. Think everyone has different experience and time frame for healing , I must say I was slack and didn’t do much exercise to start with , but can bend it okay and cycle . Just be patient I’m sure it will slowly improve 
  • Posted

Six months...it is still healing...

You may be doing a bit too much...

Some aching is normal,and common, at six months in my own experience and it seems in that of many people.

Maybe a bit more rest would help?

Tiredness too...though better at six months than before. However again, your body still needs rest.

I found walking in a swimming pool really good for walking.

Might be worth seeing a physiotherapist, maybe, if you don't have a good gait?

Now post one year, I find I have no stiffness at all, however, I do remember some at times before that.

Give yourself another six months and see how it is then.

If you are not happy or worried, it is best to see a professional.

Getting a good walking habit is important, so probably best not to leave things.

You may like to go to my profile by clicking on the image next to my name. I kept a journal of my own knee replacement journey, and I have been told by several people they found it helpful to read, or skim through. It's got a lot of general information in it, and I did write right up to the 12 month mark so it may be of interest. Direct links are not allowed but I put my page address in my profile so this can be copied and pasted into a browser.

• Posted

Lorraine .. patience my left knee took around 2 years to settle I'm not saying this is the case with every tkr but it certainly take a more than 6 months take it easy...... the surgery is not by any means minor and a lot has been done in there ..it takes time to heal .. good luck

• Posted

July 14th will be 1 yr I did both at the same time my right knee was the worst and still is

Still pain walking up steps right knee only work on my feet for 9 hrs a day probably would have been better had i retired after surgery but cant do that yet left knee looks great still have to ice them down at the end of day but like tbey say everyone heals diffetant all i can say is keep doing strettching and other stengthing

Excersize if we didn't do the surgery it only would have gotten worse just keep saying that

And good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.