Post-op

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi Everyone.

I had a bunion op and big toe alignment 4 weeks ago. I still have to wear the special shoe for another 2 weeks.  I’m managing to get about a bit more now and can get around the house to do jobs etc but I tried to call to Morrisons yesterday with my husband and had to go sit back in the car after about 15 minutes due to pain and my legs feeling like jelly! I’m just wondering how soon people were able to get about normally?  I have a very active job, where I’m on my feet most of the day and at the moment I can’t see when I’ll be able to manage being all day on my feet.  I’m really fed up and have already put 9lbs on due to not being able to move around much. I can’t wait to get back to normal!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I’m at the same stage just coming up to 4 weeks and still wearing the heel boot. I get around fine at home but do find that standing for too long is uncomfortable. It does seem a lot harder walking outside with the boot, takes longer and feels a lot harder for some reason. At present 30 mins on my feet in shops is about my max and then I need to rest up at home. Starting to do some work from home later this week but only a few hours a day as foot uncomfortable for longer than an hour or so. Fingers crossed this improves as I do more and that when I get rid of the boot I get back to normal 
    • Posted

Hi Barbara. I know what you mean about walking around outside, it does seem a lot harder.  Have you been told to do any kind of physio or anything?  My big toe is really stiff and I struggle to move it.  I’ve seen on here that quite a few people have been given some exercises to do but my surgeon never told me to do any?
    • Posted

Told nothing other than to keep foot raised. Nothing about exercise, wriggling toes, ice etc. I feel a bit in the dark and just hoping doc knows what he’s doing! Must say it didn’t look bad the quick glimpse I had when he took the stitches out - I’m a bit squeamish so didn’t look too hard. 
    • Posted

Trying. I have a pile of pillows in the bed but do find my foot travels off them through the night, or they wander off the bed. I haven’t found anything else that works in bed. The stool and cushion contraption I have on the sofa just wouldn’t work there!
  • Posted

Hi Louise

I had scarf/atkin and second toe ostectomy and am in my 5th week post op. I’m only just getting about the house without pain. I have a cast in and a pin in which both will come off in another 2 weeks.  From what I have read; seems everyone has different recovery speeds but there is no way I could even venture into a supermarket just yet. Do you have a cast on. There’s a great fab support group which offers a lot of helpful tips. “Bunion surgery/foot surgery support group. 

Im with you on the putting on weight though. Very disheartening.  How’s your experience been so far with your recovery

• Posted

Hi Tracey.

What’s a scarf/atkin - I haven’t heard of that before?

My recovery feels like it has been really slow - but it’s inline with what the surgeon told me before I had it.   I didn’t realise how frustrating it would be to just have to sit or lay with my foot up all the time.   I’m usually always on the go so I’m finding it incredibly hard!

• Posted

I forgot to say- I don’t have a cast on.
  • Posted

Hi Sarah

iits one the surgical procedures. I haven’t really looked at what they as I was too squeamish to know otherwise I would not have gone in 🙈

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.