Post Op and alcohol??

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all.

I had my POEM surgery in April 2016, so far I've had no major problems. I've had to start taking PPIs which was expected but overall I've been quiet well except for when I drink alcohol. I usually have a couple of drinks on a Friday or Saturday night. I've tried all different types of alcohol and each time I get bad heartburn, even with PPIs, then for a couple of days after I can't swallow properly. Wine, beer and gin kills me with heartburn, rum makes my stomach ache. Does this mean I have to give up alcohol altogether or has anyone found any drink that they can tolerate? I'm also very conscious of the fact that if I have heartburn I will have acid in my oesophagus and increase my risk of cancer. I am only 30 years old and my treat every week is having a couple of drinks with my husband, really didn't want to have to give it up forever.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Unfortunately what you have said sounds exactly the problem I have.

I did have to give up drinking alcohol but it wasn't just that I couldn't

tolerate as it was any mixer drinks too.

Are you absolutely sure it is the alchohol alone causing the heartburn.

I have found any vinegar based things and certain spices cause me

big problems and anything spicy in general.

At first I missed being able to enjoy a relaxing drink with friends and

family but have got used to it. I would rather miss the alchohol

than spend the rest of my night in pain.

You might find if you lay off it for a while you might get away having

the occasional one in the future.

I hope you find something that works for you, but try looking

into the food you have before the alchohol and make a diary

which will help eliminate what is causing it.

• Posted

In our ‘rough and ready’ survey of 19 achalasia sufferers about food and drink that caused problems, wine came top in the drink category (scored 9) with fizzy drink next (at 8).   The maximum would have been 19.   Bread scored 15 for likely problems, for instance.   We had comments like:

Starting meal with wine can lead to the oesophagus closing a little and making eating more difficult. Starting with water is better, leaving wine until later.  Fizzy drinks all right some of the time.   Some people have never been able to drink them.   Beer can have same effect.   Can lead to bloating.   Swallowing not the problem so much as after-effects / reflux.   San Pellegrino carbonated water seems not to be so gassy as others and can help digestion.  

I wonder whether the reflux/heartburn is that one becomes more relaxed and that the lower oesophageal sphincter therefore allows more acid to flow upwards into the oesophagus;  the alternative would be something specific that triggers off a  reaction in the stomach / oesophagus itself?

So I think the answer to your question would be that about half of achalasia sufferers would be very wary of some alcohol, and that experiences can be very specific and personal.

• Posted

Alan, I found your response above to be very helpful.  Over the weekend I tried a can of cream-soda pop [you call them fizzy drinks in the UK]. It has been almost 2 years since I drank pop. The pop did not sit well with me at all....I got acid, and there was some minor pain at the esophageal sphincter muscle.  So, 'pop' now goes back onto the 'naughty' list!  It was helpful for me to read, in your post, the statistics, and that pop, etc., is an aggravating thing to Achalasia.

• Posted

Alcohol  and smoking are not necessary to happiness unless one is addicted to them.  If you have had so much trouble after drinking alcohol and still have been trying to find a drink you can tolerate, perhaps you should consider this is more than just a "treat" but a habit you need to break for your own well-being.  As you needed the POEM surgery, you have some grave disorder and are lucky that, barring drinking alcohol, you are doing fine.   Perhaps you and your husband should do something else together besides drinking.  Go to see a film you might both enjoy.

• Posted

I am a year post-POEM, not on PPIs and do not drink. One drink causes bad reflux. Alcohol is a common cause of reflux so it makes sense. Twice since surgery, I've popped a PPI and had one drink and have been able to tolerate that but anything more causes severe reflux and is doing damage to my E. When I chose to have surgery, I knew it meant no more drinking since my LES would be open. I was a bartender for years and love a good cocktail so it was hard but it's not so bad. When I recently had a drink, I got a horrible headache an hour after; it made me feel better about my decision to see how negative my whole body's reaction to alcohol was. Good luck.

• Posted

Hello there.  I had Heller Myotomy & Fundoplication surgery in November 2016.  And then a balloon dilation in March this year.  For myself, alcohol is totally out, forever.  This is due to medication, plus the Achalasia [type 1].  I am a Pastor, and can't even have an individual glass [shot-glass size] of wine for Holy Communion.  With even one sip, there is Instant pain when it hits the esophageal sphincter muscle.  Each one of us is very different with what our bodies will be able to tolerate, in addition to whatever medication[s] we are on.  I would dearly love a glass of Bailey's or my favourite 'cream' liquor from Spain, but that is past history.  Maybe you will be the 'lucky' one and eventually able to tolerate having alcohol.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.