Post Op and Recovery

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi All

It's been almost 9 weeks since I had the operation and the recovery in my mind seems to progressing very well. I have had a few minor hiccups and worries with blood after the BM and the 'lumps' not shrinking as fast as I would like but all seems to be going as described by the doctor and the helpful members of the community. There are still few niggly stabs of pain every now and then and an ache which can be slightly painful at times in the anal area. It is not the anal canal but in the area around it sort of deeper in to the muscle. The 'lumps' around the anal area are shrinking which is good and the daily BM is so much easier then before the operation. I am still using Fybogel supplement as I have found it helps in the daily ritual. All that initial pain was absolutely terrible but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, so I can say to everyone, persevere and it will get better. Thanks to all who helped and gave me tips on how to bear with the pain and to keep going.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I'm happy to hear that you're feeling much better, and hopeful for a full recovery. Good for you, persevering all the way to a final outcome. Wishing you all the best, and thanking you for your contribution on the site. It's been very helpful.

• Posted

Paul, great to hear. All these stories are very valuable to those who are facing this traumatic journey. Your story, like others, bring a sense of what this is really like vs. what the doctors say.

• Posted

thank you for the reply, if I knew then what I know now, I'd still get it done as the hemorrhoids were severe according to my doctor. He said between 3-4 on the scale of bad, 4 being the worst. At the same time I have to mention quite a lot of miss diagnosis by my GP. The issue started when I had a fissure tear and it kept being diagnosed as something else which eventually led to the correct diagnosis and a re-scarring as it wasn't healing correctly. This caused a lot of straining and issues which contributed to my current situation and also i didn't help myself by doing what I shouldn't have. Straining and forcing a BM is never a good idea. So now I'm recovering and only a slight push when needed is in order to help things along the way. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

• Posted

Hi Paul,

Good to read that things have improved after 9 weeks.....roll on January for me 😁.

I have a question regarding the lumps. How long did they take to start going down? It's a week today since my op and they are still looking the same.

My surgeon said to shower only, no toilet paper, wet wipes ......like I would actually want to touch that area! Did you use ice or cool baths?

Could you see (if you looked that is) any stitches or discoloration on the lumps?

I had two internal beasts removed.

Regards

Suzie

• Posted

Sorry pressed the enter key by mistake. I showered as I was told no baths for at least 4 weeks, used toilet paper but very gently around the area so not to aggravate it. No Ice baths but I used sitz baths after each BM and they really helped. I had my own version of them, sit over the bath and run the shower to a warm temperature them hose down the area from underneath so that all the rubbish flows away. Believe me it does help. I had stitches but internal so didn't see anything till one dropped out. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Light at the end of the tunnel......

Thank you Paul 😁

• Posted

whatever you do don't take any thing that makes you want to go as it will irritate the passage and delay recovery and of course make things more painful. I use fybogel which is a fibre supplement and it helps to do what needs to be done. My GP prescribed Laxido which was a daft thing as it made me go 5 times in one day and boy was it sore. This lot went into the bin and I reverted to what I was using before.

• Posted

the Lumps started to go down after about 4-6 weeks, still have them but not as protruding. Eventually they will get drawn inside (I hope). When something major happens they still inflate and can be a bit sore but do go down pretty quickly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.