Post-op ankle fusion...What's next?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi.

How are the post-op ankle fusion lot doing? Was wondering what's next?

Got my 6wk check up with my consultant at Wrightington Hospital on Thursday and I know the cast is coming off but after that I'm not sure?

I'm hoping that another cast doesn't go on as I have young children, an active dog and well it's driving me crackers!

Do you think I might go into a walking boot/be partial weight baring/another dreaded cast/Physio?

The comical thing is I'm a sister on a trauma unit but I'm clueless when it comes to my own health. Plus we don't tend to deal with ankle fusions at work as our consultants tend to manage to fix joints and bones not fuse them.

Any advice or insight into how you got on post-op fusion would be so helpful.

Cheers. Claire.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

We have recently got a puppy, so I am so looking forward to walking her. She is a delight and the best emotional therapy. She is a pug/Labrador cross. so will be medium size.

• Posted

Aww that's so lovely, I have to admitted my little lady cheers me up when I'm feeling down! It's a good excuse to get out and about too, I've joined a local dog walking group so hopefully my walking will get better. 

• Posted

Don't want to alarm you but I had ankle fusion the end of May 2017 I'm

still in a boot and just started weight bearing the last four weeks. I was told

this week that it's not healing, after using a bone stimulator twice a

day for the past two an a half months I was told my options were wait

another three months to see if it heals or have it redone.

• Posted

That’s not great, how are you coping with it all?

I had my fusion back in May and I have to say this week has been a turning point for me. Walking a couple of miles a day with no crutches/aids, minimal swelling and pain that I can cope with.

Fingers cross it isn’t one step forward and two back again! I am struggling with upper back and neck pain but my Physio has just started using deep tissue massage and acupuncture with ok results.

Got all my fingers crossed that you slowly start to heal now too. Claire. Xx

• Posted

I try to stay positive but sometimes it's hard. I'm concerned about the

rest of my body hurting.I've had bilateral hip replacement, knee

replacement and rods and screws in my back. My OA Is aggressive and

pray nothing else gives out. I go for another CatScan this week and hope

the Dr. Is wrong and that It is healing. Chin up!!

• Posted

I totally get what you mean about the rest of your body hurting, my knees hips and back often feel worse than my ankles now! Like you said though we will get there...please let us know how you get on this week with your scans etc. Claire. Xx
  • Posted

I am at 3.5 months and walking reasonably well without a stick. no pain unless I try to stride out, no swollen foot and improving rapidly. I worked the foot non stop as soon as I could, and I mean non stop. If I was  awake I was moving it, toes too. The right shoes certainly make a difference to striding out, I have  some rocker soles but they are too severe, I think gentle curves rather than aggressive rockers are best. I have just bought some new balance 928s and I have some Finnmatic Cambridge and some Bow clarks, just trying to find the ideal pair. They all work to a degree as do the aggressive rockers, but finding the right ones isn't easy and is expensive.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.