post op bleeding increases after exercise

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have a MMMT uterine cancer and had a robotic total hysterectomy 4 weeks ago (Sept 6).

Good news is stage 1 but still will go through chemo and rad.  It's not a good cancer to have. 

I feel great want to stay in good shape BUT I notice increased (pink) spotting after increasing exercise.  Have begun light swimming, bike riding and yoga again.  These were normal activities for me prior to the surgery.

So... am I overdoing it? I do understand that this discharge may last up to 6 weeks or so. It is the increase that worries me some.  I have enough problems so certainly don't want to create any!!!

thanks!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Well, I can't imagine what your surgeon told you. You've had major surgery!  It's too soon to start any exercise except walking!  You need 6-8 weeks or more to heal internally.  And this is your only chance to heal. Chemo and radiation can take quite a toll on one's body.  I know.

Swimming is definitely not a good idea.  No matter what is done to sanitize the bacteria in the water, you're submersing an open wound in it!  I hope you're not trying to wear a tampon.

The same goes for bike riding and yoga, too.  Try walking.  

I understand that emotionally this is a very scary time for you.  I know, I'm going through cancer treatment, too.  And, I think that you might use lots of exercise to assist you with life's stresses and tensions.  But, this is not a good time to "jump back in."

Be gentle with your body, feed it good food and let it have time to heal.  Walk easily, don't push yourself.  Try to take it one day at a time.  Have confidence in your oncologist.  Keep yourself healthy. All you need to do is to trust in your doctor and show up for your treatments.  My best to you.  Please let me know how you get on xx 

You should be showering, not bathing, too.   

• Posted

Hi Linda, I really feel for you and the frustrations. However, no lifting, swimming, driving for at least six weeks, or exercising - apart from the simple exercises they should have given you in hospital (?). Pelvic floor exercises are ok. It takes up to a year to heal internally from this op and it's very important not to do internal damage. It sounds as if you've got to this forum in plenty of time to sort this out in your head. When you go back to yoga further down the line don't do the plank or exercises that elevate your legs above your head. Do the deep breathing and yoga nidra now for relaxation. Google Michele Kenway who is a top expert on all of this, and gives good advice for post hysterectomy safe exercises with youtube illustration. Do be careful, don't rush anything even if you feel good, and keep us posted with your progress. Good luck and big hug. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.