Post op Bunion removal surgery

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi there I m 5 weeks post op and trying to deal with this damn foot ! I’m walking on the side of my foot which is really frustrating as I can’t put my big toe down from swelling ! Due to see surgeon next week for 6 week check up  and I have a list of questions to ask . Has anyone recently had the same surgery and any advice ?☹️

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I had both my bunions operated on and was only allowed to heel walk for 6 weeks until my first check up at 6 weeks. Did they say you could walk on side of your foot? My swelling lasted many months and to be honest the swelling didn't completely go until a year! Now I have amazing feet that I can love. Happy healing.

• Posted

Thanks for your feedback Gillian x

They didn’t say anything about how to walk but I can’t put any pressure on my operated area as it gives me pain so that’s why it’s caused me to go to the side of my foot. They gave me a shoe to wear but that hurts the area as well I wear a sock and an oversized slip in slipper . They have said that the swelling will remain for at least 6 months  which is annoying as I need to get back to work which requires a shoe on , and to be able to walk quite briskly ! I suppose from what you’ve said there is light at the end of the tunnel x can’t wait to look at my foot and luv it too ♥️ Cheers x

• Posted

Yes I have and too be honest it gets way better than it is now! I had one op did on March 7 and the other on April 4 and my first foot is in good standing condition and the second one is getting there except it’s healing different than the first operation 
  • Posted

You're welcome. I wore a wedge shoe for 6 weeks. Very sexy. Not!! I couldn't heel walk for 2 weeks as the swelling got so bad the bandage got tight so whenever I tried to heel walk I got bad pins and needles and just felt impossible so I crawled like a baby and hopped like a kangaroo 2 weeks on my good foot until I managed to get the bandages off. I'm just surprised they didn't get you to heel walk. I had chevron bunionectomy done via minimally invasive surgery. Looking back and before pics of my feet my surgeon is a magician!!! Just try and but a wider pair of shoes. I lived in adjustable samples all summer. I managed to heel walk after 2 days of 2nd foot getting done and made a huge difference to my moral while recovering. It's a very long recovery but more than worth it. X

• Posted

I had chevron bunionectomy and mortons neuroma removal 12 weeks ago and i can only wear tennis shoes and foot is still stiff but hoping things will get better soon. Very frustrating! I think its just a slow healing processrolleyes
    • Posted

Dawn 

Can you tell me about your bunionectomy and neuroma 

I think I have the same thing. 

Dr keeps putting me off but I can't walk barefoot.. n foot feels like it's burning n toes numb. 

Very swollen 

• Posted

I was having pain in my fourth toe when i walked, i thought it was my actual toe. I went to one dr and he said it he could just do a tendon release under the toe and it would fix it. I didn’t do it and put it off.  A month later I went to a different dr and he said it wasn’t my actual toe giving me trouble but a morton’s neuroma between the 3rd and 4th toe causing the pain. And the bunion caused the neuroma and I would need to fix bunion too.
  • Posted

Hi Tania

i had surgery 8 weeks ago today to remove a bunion from my right foot. What can I say... never really understood beforehand how incapacitated I would be and how painful. Thought I would be back at work but GP was having non of it. Still can’t drive but can go on short journeys next week. I stopped wearing a covering at 4 weeks when I saw the surgeon but the scar is so sore and tender, GP told me to wear a sock to try and help. I too walk on the side of my foot, not because of pain it just seems to be th3 way my foot is going, I have pain under ball of my foot but had this prior to surgery, it was hoped th3 surgery would help but so far it hasn’t. 

My foot is definitely improving so chin up, I rub ibuprofen gel on the scar, I think if this would stop being so sore I would feel better. My foot also turns purple and swells as soon as it hits the floor. Still in sketchers trainers as can’t wear anything else.

gail 

• Posted

Hi there. You should go to the Facebook group. I survived a bunionectomy. Lots of discussions and info on this. Good luck!!!!
  • Posted

I'm week 5 and still in surgical shoe. I was told to heel walk though. Surgeon did say before op I'd walk on the side of my foot once healed but must put foot down flat but I won't be doing that yet. Got post op check next week.  

The Facebook group (other post) is good for info. 

• Posted

Hi Tania! I am also 5 weeks same surgery! Are you in a post op boot??? Are you walking on it alone?? My surgeon has me In a boot until 8 weeks and then In a tennis shoe. I do deal with seeking a lot but elevate anytime I can! It’s a hard surgery to recover from!!! My second surgery is scheduled for August! 
    • Posted

Hi Courtney yes it’s a pain the old post op shoe/boot thing I hate it with a passion ! I’ve just had an infection in my big toe for 2 weeks now finished antis so hoping it is on the mend ! Been and had a 6 week review with my surgeon  who says my infection has nothing to do with the bunion op 🤷??? Hmmmm  

Foot still very swollen and  he tells me 2 more weeks in  shoe/boot and then try getting a loose shoe on !!  No worries X-ray needed he says alignment is excellent ...hmmm we”ll see .

Wishing you a speedy recovery which I highly doubt this op has one x Novway known would I be having a second op but good luck 🍀 

• Posted

Hi

I hope you are feeling better. I'm week 4 of recovery and my surgeon told me getting the toe to touch the ground is the last hurdle. Every step I have to claw toes down. It hurts, it's not comfortable, I don't do it all the time as I wouldn't move fast enough anywhere, but it does work. It's the final step in recovery and quite a big one as the toes have been out of action for so long they needed to wake up and move. I'm also seeing physio to help with the muscle pain ache that's come from doing the toe claw.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.