Post op care home that help U heal faster

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I would like to know what are the best things you do or did after your bunion surgery that help you heal faster.  Mine was to rest the first 2 weeks a lot, having elevated the feet above the heart, and eat healthy diet (vegies, frut, and fish).  I hope to hear from you.  Thank you

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Marisol, I was pretty much the same as you. Rest rest rest ice, elevate, take painkillers when need, drink loads of water, I put the pain killers on timer so I hardly dealt with a high level of pain, I purchased a raiser cushion for legs and waterproof leg covers. Both a god send! Good healthy smoothies and lots of veg and fruit. Bring positive and on top of things gives a better recovery I feel. If your negative it will drag on. X
    • Posted

Thank you for your respond.  Yes, we need to be positive.  Another thing that it is hekping me with the inflamation is  Arnica and ginger tea.  

When did you have your surgery?  This is my 5th week.   

• Posted

Hi Marisol, I'm approaching week 11, swelling is an issue now! When your non weight bearing your feet will start to look a bit nirmal, however, I've found now I'm walking much more swelling is kicking in! All part of the process though. I also have a dull ache under the left big toe and second toe. I had double scarf and akin plus toe fusion. Hope you continue to do well, it's a long journey x
    • Posted

Hi Rae, thank you for letting me know your experience because I though it was only my problem.  I am the same as you.  When I don't walk much my foo looks better, but I start walking (I live by myself) or doing something in the kitchen it starts hurting me becuse of the inflamation.  Me too I have to scars.  One on the side of my big toe, the other one on top of the toe that it was a hammer toe.  The doctor did a terrible cuts that both looks like small zigzag.  When you are inside the hospital you are in their hands.  I am not happy about it but what can I do now.

I had the maderma cream for minimaze the scars but I decided to put manuka honey and it is doing a great job.  

Are you puting bandage on your foot?  does your big toe is separate from the other toes?  Do you use some tape to separate the big toe.  My big toe is not separated as I have seen pictures on the internet.  What is your experience.

• Posted

Hi Marisol, look at my recent post called "pictures" I've posted my photos there and do have lots of lovely ladies. I use bio oil, lovely. My scars are great I can't complain. Yours will fade with time I'm sure. Yes I still have support bandage for toe separation, it's helped a lot x I don't yes tape. 
    • Posted

Hi Rae,

I am bad for computer and I culd't find a way to seeyoupictures.  How  re you doing?  Here in San Dig has been very hot and I amusing the boot sad I tried wearing a pairof sandls Birkinstan very expensive and I wore them for i hour and it was hurting so bad my foot.   What kind of shoes are you wearing now?  My foot still swalloed and I cannot takeantiinflamatoriobecause they hurt my intestine very bad.  Do you have some recomendations for that. 

I cannot walk much and I am tired to be seated most of the time with my fot up.

Thank youfor your tips. 

• Posted

REST, rest, rest practically all the time - apart from visits to the bathroom! I can't emphasise enough how important it is to keep the weight off that foot for as long as you can. Definitely do this for the first FIVE WEEKS and then as you begin to start walking, it's crucial to continue having intervals of sitting with your foot raised high again. I am now 10 months post op and my foot looks beautiful and I am delighted with the results. I am walking normally, no swelling and no discomfort of any kind. I am an active 70 and back to my busy lifestyle. Don't try to rush your recovery; be patient and allow for bones to heal and things to settle. LadyPink
    • Posted

Ladypink it was a pity I didn't ask this info before.  I rested 2 weeks a lot and I was doing very well until the dr told me to walk and it was so bad for my foot.  After 4 weeks he said do not use the bandage anymore.  I did it and I feel I need to have the support from the bandage.  It seems that the dr's advise is prolonging my recuperation.  I am not walking much now and my foot is getting better.  when did you stop putting your bandage?  Thanks

I m 5 weeks post op/ 65 yeas old

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.