Post Op cataract removal weak and tired eye. Possible ptosis

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have cataract removed on left eye on 8-28-18 and left eye on 9-11-18. The first eye is giving me a lot of issues. I can only stay up for 10-11 hours and then my eye keeps wanting to shut. It is a lot smaller than my right eye. It gets smaller as the day goes on. Going in tomorrow to see doctor only after fighting with them a whole day. It feels like something is in the upper part of my eye. They kept telling me to use the lubricating drops all day and I have. I made sure it was the preservative free ones.Quite expensive as I am low income. They said it sounds like an eyelid problem which is not related tot he surgery but I believe the lid speculum might have caused this. I have read about the ptosis happening after the procedure. I had the problem the first week and they said keep using the lubricating drops. Then the second week and so on. Has anyone else had this problem. Greatly appreciated. Ruby S

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi RubySlippers - this must be frustrating to you.  From several sites I found on ptosis this is sometimes considered to be a consequence of surgery not a complication of surgery.  It can be repaired by a commonly performed ptosis repair procedure.  If it is affecting your vision, testing can be done to confirm it (field of vision test).  The procedure is generally performed by an Oculoplastic surgeon-an Ophthalmologist with advance training in performing procedures on the eyelids and surrounding facial structures. 

your eye isn’t getting likely smaller but may appear that way due to drooling eyelid.  Have you any scheduled follow up visits with your surgeon?  If not I would contact his or her office to get an appointment to have it checked out.

Hope it all turns out.  How is your vision otherwise since surgery?

• Posted

Hi Sue. appreciated the feedback. I have an appt tomorrow at 2:00 p.m. They said it is probably a new issue that just happened to come up and I would have to see a different eye doctor. I was never warned of this happening and believe it was due to the cataract surgery beings they have to use the eyelid speculum and they said that doesn't happen. They were not going to see me until a month but I called the big office and a team leader called me back. It also feels like something is in my eye in the top of it. Will see what tomorrow brings. I just know that this was not a issue before the surgery, but the eye speculum is a part of the procedure to hold the eye open. Hopefully I don't have the ptosis. I just know that all the research out there suggest that. To me it is a complication of the surgery beings it was a part of the procedure to keep the eye open. Will see what doctor says tomorrow. Thank you once again. Ruby S

• Posted

That sensation of something in your eye does go away.  I had that feeling in one of my eyes (common after cataract surgery).  Keep using those artificial tears (I liked Systane Ultra but there are many brands out there).

Many of the sites I looked at said ptosis can occur after cataract surgery.  It is also due to aging and sometimes the speculum can stretch the tendons/muscles and hasten the ptosis.

Good that you insisted on an appointment to have it checked out. 

• Posted

Hello Sue. Well the problem with the eye is scleritis which is the top of my eyeball is seriously inflamed. The doctor said it was due to the surgery. Whatever that means. On 3 kind of eye drops and if worse go back in asap. She was shocked they gave me a problem with scheduling an appointment to get back in. go in next Tuesday for sure and hoping for recovery. Have a splendid day! Ruby S
    • Posted

Fingers crossed for you the antibiotic drops clear that inflamed eye.  Sometimes a hot compress helps too.  Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.