Post Op check up

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi, I am so pleased to have found this site as it has answered so many of my questions and made me feel that I am not alone.. thank you.

I had "sacrospinous colpopexy anterior and posterior repair" almost 4 weeks ago.  Having read posts on here I realised that I do not have a date for a post op check up.  I have just contacted the hospital and they advised that it is not usual to have one and asked me if I felt I needed one? I know it's the NHS but I did not expect them to ask this, I told them that I have never had the op before and thought a check up would be needed to ensure I am healing correctly etc?

They advised they will send my paperwork to the consultant and ask if he needs to see me and that his secretary will phone me either way.

Reading the posts on here everything I am going through seems "normal", discharge, pains etc but I am suprised that they question a check up appointment.... what to you think I should say when the secretary phones me back?   Thanks

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi,that is really weird.

I had an anterior wall repair on December and consultant said I will have a check up in 3 months time, so I got a letter and I have app on April. Gosh I would be so worry not seeing someone to confirm everything healing well, now its over 12 weeks and I still no intercourse,no tampons etc. because I want to hear Iam completly recover.

My advise demand for appointment.

Good luck 😊

• Posted

Thanks agi6, I will defo ask for the follow up appointment. Good luck with your recovery too xx

• Posted

I haven't had a follow up from op   in November. Told it is not necessary!
    • Posted

It seems strange how it varies from place to place did you have your op in the UK?  I

• Posted

I asked when I left hospital about post op follow up,they told me that they don't do it,just to go back to GP at 6 weeks. My GP was furious,he said he's not a gynaecologist and that the person who did the op should do the follow up check,I totally agreed. I had a lot of problems post op and after a lot of nagging by me and my GP finally got an appointment 18 weeks post op. Was examined very roughly by a female gynae,who told me everything was OK and as it should be but it wasn't, I know my own body better than anyone.The cystocele that she said was minimal actually is a grade 2 and getting  worse but am holding out for as long as I can to avoid another op. Here's hoping you get better post op treatment than I did x 
    • Posted

I might be wrong bit sometimes I think it looks like they are desperately trying to save money by not giving out return appointments . They also appear to be pushing return to work policies. But it does not save a penny! It must be costing a lot more not only financially but in wasted time having to redo all these ops... when they fail, and again when women need to be off on the sick again. Don't see why they can't give women proper time to repair after ops... and avoid expense of more wasted time and money!
    • Posted

yes you are right it does seem to return back to the financial aspect.  I think based on the comments though that it seems to be a bit of a post code lottery with the NHS?  

• Posted

Yes, I think that too that a lot can depend on where you are treated! Even in the same areas it's all about having an experienced GP and being refered to a decent skilled consultant/surgeon, and even in hospital being properly looked after by experienced nurses!

• Posted

Thanks not sure if I will but I will just have to keep at it.
    • Posted

definately phyllis it's all such a lottery.  

• Posted

i phoned my hospital today as im 27 days post op and wondered about a post op appointment , i was also told no follow up needed , a letter sent to my doctor is about it x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.