Post-op dressings - is it safe to keep them on long??

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everybody,

I had my GB removed 4 days ago laparoscopically and yesterday replaced all but one  post-op dressings, which is the biggest hole/cut through which they pulled out the GB and which has some skin redenning underneath it , so I thought it's best to leave it alone a few more days.

Do you know if it's safe to leave the dressing unchanged for a week? My concern is that the plaster underneath may get "permanently" stuck to the skin if left for too long.

Do you have any experience with that?

thank you

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I was told to leave mine on for ten days which I did and they healed up really well and no problem getting them off. I am now three weeks post op. Still got some scabs but all nice and dry. The less you can interfere with them the less chance of introducing infection so best to just leave them on. smile All the best with your recovery smile
    • Posted

Hi Jane3315, thanks for sharing your expereince - I'll keep then mine on the belly button for a week or so. smile
    • Posted

Hey! How are you? I'm so late to give my feedback.Anyways,I did the same thing just leave it for days. But maybe this time you removed it already.

Hope you're doing well now

Rgards,

Katherine

• Posted

I am now 2 weeks post my GB removal I was asked to leave the bandages on for a week. I took them all off bar the one on my belly button and took that off a day or two later too. They are all healing well - some scabs still there but it's all good so far. They say it's cool to shower but now to have a bath until 2-3 weeks post op at least

Heal well

Take care Dee

• Posted

great! Really pleased for you Dee. smile Hope recovery goes well.
  • Posted

I was lucky.

I'm from the U.S. and I see how different sometimes medicine is practiced between here and the UK.

My surgeon did mine laproscopically. She chose the Roud of surgical glue instead of sutures and left the incisions open without any dressings, and they healed amazingly well. I was able to shower the next day. I just had to be careful around the Incisions.

• Posted

I think I had an allergic reaction either to that glue or to the adhesives in the bandages. US here too.
  • Posted

I would follow your doctors instructions. When I was able to wash my wound with soap and water (per doc orders when it was safe), I would dry it with a hair dryer to make sure no infection started. You won't find this in any medical manual but I bet it seemed to work.
    • Posted

Hi James,

I am afraid I already haven't follwed it, as the insruction was to change them 48 hours post-op, and I changed 3 after 72 hours and the one on the belly button is still on. I intend to keep it on for another 2-3 days, as I see this worked fine for Jane and Dee.

• Posted

also, I dried mine wound naturally when changing the dressings - no hair drier, no cloth - nothing. Disinfected the wounds with surgical spirit and also put some iodine on new dressings before putting them on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.