Post op excruciating shoulder pain and 'trapped wind'. Any ideas?!?!?!?!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi All, 

I had my laparoscopy today and had my endometriosis removed. 

All went ok, but the pain in my shoulder and side is unbearable!!!! The Op itself hasn't hurt yet at all, or my cuts... but does anyone have any ideas about the shoulder and trapped wind??

I've been drinking peppermint hot water by the galloons and had Windease... but i have been rolling around the floor for the last hour in pain and struggling to breath! It has only just eased off enough for me to quickly write this and google

ANY suggestions would be appreciated - i will try anything at this point!! sad sad 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I am so sorry you are in so much pain.

I had the same problem after the same procedure and peppermints and movement were the only things which helped. I know it's hard and you think the pain will never end but moving around as much as you can or even twisting motions may help move the air bubble. You can do this on the floor by lying on your back and move knees from one side to the other while keeping shoulders flat on floor and then sit up if you can after a few repititions. 

Have you got a heat pad or hot water bottle? 

I hope you get some relief soon, good luck

Julie

• Posted

Thank you Julie! Definitely thought it would never end, I thought it was something terrible at first. By far the worst pain. 

I've got hot water pads which seem to be helping and I've been trying your side to side motion too. I had two ours of intense pain last night but once that passed I've been ok since. Fingers crossed that was the last of it! 

Thanks again smile 

• Posted

Chewing gum helps, tho in this case it should be gum with sugar instead of SF as so many zero or low cal sweeteners create gas -- taught me by my gastroenterologist for use after bowel resection  (due to endo).

Also drinking basil tea.  Best if made from fresh but tea made from dried helps to.  Or eat some fresh leaves.  Ditto for parsley.  Both of these greens help tremendously with moving gas & discomfort along the system.

• Posted

Thank you. I've sent my mum out for some basil tea and to get some parsley too! 

I think the worst thing was that I wasn't prepared and didn't know what I needed to do! Hopefully this will be the last of it!

Thank you again smile 

• Posted

That gastro was the only doc who ever mentioned anything about this agony to me, and by then I was 54 and had had 3 other abdominal surgeries!  But he was not from the States, Slovakian I believe.

Hope you feel better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.